Home Q & A Forum
Options

Closed, Thanks! Definition of BU coin

Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 18, 2022 10:19AM in Q & A Forum

I recently purchased a coin listed as BU from someone i had purchased previously and the coin was advertised as BU. When I received it, it didn't quite appear to be BU but I sent it off for encapsulation and it came back "Cleaned, Unc details." The dealer is claiming that it still fits in the definition of BU, even having been cleaned. This doesn't seem quite right to me, so thought I'd throw it out there for a professional opinion. Doesn't sound right to me.

Would someone please clarify?

Bruce

Comments

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the definition I have in my mind, not sure that it really answers your question ( and definitely doesn't qualify as a professional opinion :) )but heres how I see it...

BU stands for "Brilliant Uncirculated", there are no cleaned coins that are Brilliant, IMO, also, there is a world of difference between Uncirculated & Uncirculated details...
    I have personally never seen a coin below MS62 that I would consider Brilliant Uncirculated, it just about has to be a Gem to qualify as BU in my mind, just my 2 cents ;)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

Bruce: Did the seller indicate the coin was cleaned in the Ad? I doubt it from your post but if not and assuming he knew it was cleaned, he misrepresented the coin. Of Course he could always claim he did not know it was cleaned and proving he did know would be difficult, unless the cleaning was obvious. If you got it on EBay, you might be able to get some satisfaction from them.

Just a thought.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd return it. Cleaned is not BU in my book.

• Options
    Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

Ya"ll are expressing just about what I have been thinking, but wanted some other input besides my own.
    Thanks for the input. Will keep monitoring this and see if others have the same opinion.

Thanks again,

Bruce