Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The most creative auction description...

pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love what these lot describers come up with.

Confident Gem Proof with glistening dove-gray fields that host scattered amber toning on the obverse and murmurs of absinthe and plum coloration on the reverse.

Link (not my coin).

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2022 5:09PM

I am confused is this an add to buy a coin or to get married!!!

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

My confusion would be more along the lines of, "are they talking about some kind of ethanol-based beverage?"

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • sylsyl Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

It sounds like a "wine-taster" description.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2022 12:05PM

What color is absinthe? I need to google that. ETA nvm, light green to colorless.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do these sorts of descriptions bring more bids? I've grown accustomed to very simple, matter-of-fact descriptions and I think I prefer that.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    Do these sorts of descriptions bring more bids? I've grown accustomed to very simple, matter-of-fact descriptions and I think I prefer that.

I think it is a disservice to the consignor. Rather than talk about Heaton Mint proofs in general or even in this specific issue (which would require research or a very knowledgeable cataloger), they just talk about the color.

I was selling some gold medals a few years back, and the auction house simply verbally described the medal, as though no one could see the photo that was right above the description. I thought it was a waste of ink. Why not talk about the rarity, the topic being commemorated, or anything else?

• ELuisELuis Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

This is the description of the same coin back on 2015 sold also on HA:

"Guatemala
    Republic Proof Real 1894-H PR65 NGC, KM166. A rare proof issue from the Heaton mint, with full reflective mirrored fields and light toning accents around the peripheral devices."

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the Heritage description described in the post above. When they get too tooty-fruity and start mentionting fruit and food in descriptions, it does indeed start to sound like wine-tasting gobbledegook, and turns me off mildly. After a certain point, it's pure puffery.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've actually been complimented by ebay reps for not putting a bunch of fluff in my listings! After all, who doesn't know every date in a series is a rare key date!