Home Q & A Forum

1978 Proof Set

FOURFLATFOURFLAT Posts: 17
edited July 9, 2022 1:29PM in Q & A Forum

Hello , so I have a 1978 proof set that has a gold Roosevelt dime in it !! I guess what I need to know is this rare , normal, or something else. I can’t find anything that says anything about it ! Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!! Please no rude comments Im fairly green at this and the last time I asked a question all I got was grief !! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2022 12:17PM

Photos?

You don't have a solid gold proof dime. It is either a toned regular proof dime (which might be worth a premium) or maybe someone opened the case and swapped it out with a plated dime.

In theory it could be some impossibly rare scenario where it is struck on a planchet missing the clad layer on both sides, but it is probably not even worth mentioning since it is only a theoretical possibility.

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Photos?

You don't have a solid gold proof dime. It is either a toned regular proof dime (which might be worth a premium) or maybe someone opened the case and swapped it out with a plated dime.

In theory it could be some impossibly rare scenario where it is struck on a planet missing the clad layer on both sides, but it is probably not even worth mentioning since it is only a theoretical possibility.

Yep, this. We need pictures :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Here’s some photos! Thanks

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can see in the pictures it has some serious gold toning on it, I have several proof sets that have toned coins in them but nothing quite as even as yours, it's quite attractive in my opinion :)
    As to value, all I can say is that it would carry a small premium for some collectors, but most wouldn't pay more than a couple dollars for it I think, it would just depend on whether you like gold toning or not, I personally am very partial to gold toning on silver coins and would be willing to pay a few extra dollars for it if I came across it.
    Do any of the other silver coins in the case have toning?

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• No just the dime . I can’t see anything that indicates the case ever being opened!

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning looks kind of neat. I've seen rolls from the mint where they end coins are toned after years and years. I've never seen this in a proof set before. Kind of neat, I really like the look.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members