Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

$18/card National Grading Special through July 31

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Nice. I will drop my sub at the National for this.

• Options
    Blindmelon5Blindmelon5 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Omg Jeff. Exactly.

• Options
    Blindmelon5Blindmelon5 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Well done

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

wondering if those cards dropped at Nat'l will go to NJ facility to be graded?

• Options

Question: If I submit cards for this $18/card special and it grades higher than my declared value what do they do? Send them back without grading, or upcharge me at the $30/card service level? What if these cards are vintage?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColoradoCollector said:
    Question: If I submit cards for this $18/card special and it grades higher than my declared value what do they do? Send them back without grading, or upcharge me at the $30/card service level? What if these cards are vintage?

They will send you an email asking approval for your authorization of an upcharge.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I wish I would get the 2 orders that have been at PSA for more than 15 months already before they start loading up again

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

@Kepper19 said:
    wondering if those cards dropped at Nat'l will go to NJ facility to be graded?

The podcast mentioned they would be taking them back to Santa Ana for grading

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

An estimated 150 day turn around?

What happens when those who have been waiting patiently decide to submit?

PSA likely has an idea of the percentages/numbers of cards that make up their backlog. Perhaps some thought could be given to creating an approach to streamlining the grading process by separating vintage from modern. I am not certain exactly what the cut off should be... 1971? 1978? or early 1980s. I would use 1971 but I would likely be in the minority as most would likely favor a later date. If I am correct that a greater percentage of cards are modern (or at least modern in my view...) why should the entire process be negatively impacted by having a backlog that seems unmanageable in terms of setting a realistic expectation as to a return timetable?

Not trying to throw cold water on a nice offer... just trying to offer a suggestion to streamline the process and help with expectations

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

While the $18 price is nice, with the $199 value limit, it's still "more expensive" than even the regular tiered pricing. In other words, getting a $499 card graded for $30 is a better "value" than getting a $199 card graded for $18, especially when you factor in shipping costs both ways. Don't go too crazy, be selective about what you're sending in if your goal is resale. This is far from the $6 or even $10 specials. It's a step in the right direction, but so is gas being $4.60 a gallon when it was $5.25 two weeks ago.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    While the $18 price is nice, with the $199 value limit, it's still "more expensive" than even the regular tiered pricing. In other words, getting a $499 card graded for $30 is a better "value" than getting a $199 card graded for $18, especially when you factor in shipping costs both ways. Don't go too crazy, be selective about what you're sending in if your goal is resale. This is far from the $6 or even $10 specials. It's a step in the right direction, but so is gas being $4.60 a gallon when it was $5.25 two weeks ago.

I agree the $199 limit is a bummer. I have cards I want to send in but some are not worth much more than my expenses if they grade lower than expected.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Same here! I Looked through the Stack of about 300 cards I have waiting in the wings to be Graded.....And IF I really stretched I could probably force 20 cards through at the $18, but I will lose my A$$ with that price with ship ect.! $6-$10 a card you have 300 from me! Until then...Zero!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah this same $199 Max Value tier was $12 two years ago. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm bummed that they split the years at the 1995/1996 mark... I had to take out a couple cards from my sub.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

So can we do reviews for bumps under this service. And would199.00 or less be smr or recent auction prices?

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:
    Yeah this same $199 Max Value tier was $12 two years ago. (correct me if I'm wrong)

The way to look at it is that you get charged less if your card doesn't grade the way you want it to.. If it does grade well, they may let it slide, or you get uncharged, but you've covered that $12 difference with the guaranteed grade.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Figured it out.
    Big no. Only options for reviews is the 50.00 or up service.
    Bummer

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@Norcal said:
    I am still a little hesitant sending in cards now to PSA due to the harsh grading especially with vintage cards. Do you think they will grade more harsh because of the reduction in price?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to be waiting to see how the grading goes first before I send off cards to be graded. Plus by the time people start getting these back in 6 months we can see how they are grading them, hopefully there'll be lower prices too by then.

• Options

OK, I need an Intervention!

I am an Addict, after waiting for 12 Subs for more than a Year and a half, and even with all my Bluff & Bluster yesterday.

What do I do?

Of corse I Send in 20 cards to wait for the next 6 months on. And although 15 of them should turn into +$100 cards, at least 5 are only going to be $100 cards if they Grade 10's, if they come back 9's, not even worth the Grading fee of $18!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    OK, I need an Intervention!

I am an Addict, after waiting for 12 Subs for more than a Year and a half, and even with all my Bluff & Bluster yesterday.

What do I do?

Of corse I Send in 20 cards to wait for the next 6 months on. And although 15 of them should turn into +$100 cards, at least 5 are only going to be $100 cards if they Grade 10's, if they come back 9's, not even worth the Grading fee of $18!

YeeHaw!

Neil

You need a “sweet spot”. Do not expect cards to be a psa 10. Submit if it makes sense at a psa 8/9 then a 10 would be a pleasant surprise. I just worry if they are still grading tough on vintage and it might even be worst with the reduction of submissions.

• Options
    DougGlattDougGlatt Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

I know nobody wants to hear about CSG, but I have been using them exclusively. 25 day turn around.

The last show I went to, I saw more CSG slabs then any other company outside PSA.

• Options

@Norcal said:

You need a “sweet spot”. Do not expect cards to be a psa 10. Submit if it makes sense at a psa 8/9 then a 10 would be a pleasant surprise. I just worry if they are still grading tough on vintage and it might even be worst with the reduction of submissions.

Actually since about 2000/01 or so I have subbed over 7-8K cards to PSA. I think I know what I am doing, I subbed a 25 card lot of 1983 Topps Baseball back in the day with a Boggs, and got 23 out of 25 as GEM 10! When I say that I picked 5 that I think should 10, I realize that before the last two years I would average about 30-50% GEM 10's (Of Cards I picked to be 10's). In the last 2 years I have not hit many 10's, but again I sub a lot of cards (At least 95% that are never expected to be 10's), but have value in 8's, 9's, ect. The one thing I can't do is be anymore diligent about Pre-Grading my Cards, what PSA chooses do do with these is of course out of my control!

The 5 that I picked, in the past, almost assuredly at least 4 each should be 10's, absolutely Pristine Pack Fresh, pulled by me, Razor Sharp cards. So this is an experiment to see how that plays out, if they Hose me and give me 9's or 8's then I will know in my mind this is a game not for me anymore. I also created a Very Mixed Order, with Pre War Non Sport, 1991 O-Pee-Chee Hockey Stars, 60's Baseball, 70's Baseball, and an oddball item or two.

Not sure if doing this will help any segment of my order or hinder them all, but we shall see. I've used this theory many times and got some awesome results, and then sometimes Not So Good! If this gets Hosed as my last two subs were after 16 months. Then I will most likely be done with PSA, as it Just Doesn't Make Monetary sense to continue this folly!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    mrhighgrademrhighgrade Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

PSA is grading a million cards a month, most of them ultra-moderns, by inexperienced graders who have no business grading anything and prices have declined 60-80% on a lot of key cards due to general economic climate and the increasing supply glut. Real bloodbaths on some stuff. On top of that you probably have to wait a year or more to get your cards back.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2022 9:53AM

My list of cards waiting to go out was getting deep so I chose to put a few small groups together to send out this week.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

Same here! I Looked through the Stack of about 300 cards I have waiting in the wings to be Graded.....And IF I really stretched I could probably force 20 cards through at the $18, but I will lose my A$$ with that price with ship ect.! $6-$10 a card you have 300 from me! Until then...Zero!

YeeHaw!

Neil

8 dollars for me

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I said I wasn't going to send another order in but.......I gave in today and sent 20 Football cards in. Nothing special really, 5 were broken out of BGS 9 slabs, I'm not expecting any of those to be PSA 9 based on history. One was a 2000 Ultra Tom Brady, so if that gets the same grade it will be worth it but not holding my breath. A few new cards from 2017-2020 if any of those get a 10 that will be a bonus.

• Options

Mailed Saturday, Received Weds. Pretty Good, now the 6 month wait begins!

And if I do this Zoom Meeting with them tomorrow, them I get a $100 Grading Credit, so I'm sure I'll scrounge another 20 to send if the Voucher is forthcoming quickly!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    edited July 13, 2022 11:05AM

@thedutymon11 said:

And if I do this Zoom Meeting with them tomorrow, them I get a $100 Grading Credit, so I'm sure I'll scrounge another 20 to send if the Voucher is forthcoming quickly!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see a notably lower fee than $18 per card. But when assembling a sub order at the current special rate, I consider a couple points when sorting through my boxes of items I'd have subbed if rates were down at the $6 to $8 rate:

1. Would I sell this item for noticeably more than $10 to $12 more when it comes back graded than I would have a couple years ago, regardless of what grade it receives?

2. Add a couple items into the order that would pay for the entirety of the order's grading fees if they hit good grades (within the realm of objective possibility).

Sure, the majority of the items in my waiting-to-sub boxes don't make the cut, but I can definitely find some that are worth the order.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:

YeeHaw!

Neil

I thought you swore off PSA suns Neil?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

@Ahmanfan said:

Yeah, So did I, but once again, Addiction is a Terrible thing! :D:s

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:

@Ahmanfan said:

Yeah, So did I, but once again, Addiction is a Terrible thing! :D:s

YeeHaw!

Neil

Lol! May the grading gods be on your side this time!!

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Dos this special include grading Auto cards?

• Options

@Norcal said:

I believe it is just the usual 1998-present years ones with autos on the card prior to issuance (as opposed to obtained later by the owner), where they do not grade or certify the auto, just relying on the auto cert from the manufacturer.

• Options

@Norcal said:

try it

• Options
    SoonerificSoonerific Posts: 68 ✭✭

@Norcal said:

The $18 National special does not include dual service grading for autographed cards. Lowest price for that service is still the $36 value tier with a $499 max value.

• Options

Thanks for the replies. I am not talking about dual grading for autos just for the card grade itself and not the dual service.

• Options

@Norcal said:
    Thanks for the replies. I am not talking about dual grading for autos just for the card grade itself and not the dual service.

wait for dereks annual auto submission

• Options
    edited July 14, 2022 11:55AM

@Norcal said:

pretty sure you're good to go on the $18 rate then.

And, the special rate should also be good for subbing cards that have already been slabbed as "Trading Card" with the Auto deemed authentic too.

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@Norcal said:

I believe it is just the usual 1998-present years ones with autos on the card prior to issuance (as opposed to obtained later by the owner), where they do not grade or certify the auto, just relying on the auto cert from the manufacturer.

Question regarding this, if you send in a card that is new with the auto on card as you describe but the autograph is a bit smeared. Since they are not grading the autograph with that take away from the card itself?

• Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Can anyone verify the years accepted on the 18$ rate? I can't find anything that gives the years accepted. Thanks in advance.

"...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

95 and older or 96 and newer

A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    jalovrajalovra Posts: 75 ✭✭

Does anyone know if this special is good for larger cards? I have about 50 1976 Topps basketball that I have been waiting to submit.

• Options

@jalovra said:
    Does anyone know if this special is good for larger cards? I have about 50 1976 Topps basketball that I have been waiting to submit.

It's good for items that fit the tallboy holder size, but not larger than that.