Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Raw 68 OPC Ryan rookie Probstein?

Was watching this auction that just finished at $2800! The card looks like it would grade a 5 or a 6. This card has been on fire lately and hope the buyer pays up. A PSA 1 Ryan recently sold for almost 2k, I’m thinking buyer hoping for a high grade. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Mikeygiggs_336699Mikeygiggs_336699 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Buyer with a feedback of 1!

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t touch probstein raw cards. Most of those are trimmed from my experience.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Will that be going to the new ebay authentication?

I thought all raw cards over $750 do so.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Will that be going to the new ebay authentication?

I thought all raw cards over $750 do so.

They check for authentic vs. fake/reprint, but that service does not check for altered vs. not altered (trimmed, marked, etc.)

• Options

Really
    Then what good is it????

I had a card I sold at $450 and psa 9 graded sent to the authenticator.

Apparently, that was automatic. Wouldn't you think you don't need to send a psa card.

Whay a dumb EBAY ploy !!!!

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Really
    Then what good is it????

I had a card I sold at $450 and psa 9 graded sent to the authenticator.

Apparently, that was automatic. Wouldn't you think you don't need to send a psa card.

Whay a dumb EBAY ploy !!!!

It is a severe flaw in the system, to be sure. I purchased a raw card that matched the description and it went through the authentication escrow, but then when I received it I found that it had a thin pen/marker line on it trying to recolor it and hide a white crease in the background. I was able to return the item despite it being authenticated by the 3rd party. That info should have been disclosed in the listing. Since the seller omitted that info, then it meant that technically the item matched the description I suppose.

The primary benefit of the guarantee is that it serves to prevent a buyer from falsely claiming that they received something other than the item that was purchased, or that they received nothing at all. There is quite a risk in shipping out an expensive item to someone when before the policy was in place, they could just lie and say they received an empty package or something like that. It does also mean that for a buyer, they are guaranteeing that the item you receive is the one you expected based on the listing, and that it is an authentic manufacturer-produced item.

They still have improvements they need to make on this system though, as I mention above.

• Options
    empigtvempigtv Posts: 58 ✭✭

I think they do check for min size. I bought a 61 Fleer Russell that did not pass eBay authentication. I’m 100% certain the card was authenticate. Ebay would not say why it was kicked back, but told the seller it was possibly for min size. Given that so many 61 Fleer are factory short, I’m inclined to believe it was failed for min size.

• Options

I do see your point. It might reduce scamming.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets