Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any thoughts on this 1958-D Lincoln cent die trial? UPDATE: known to be made by Bob McNamara

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 10, 2022 3:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is an interesting piece. I've never seen anything like this before.

Comments

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm willing to bet it's struck by a false die.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder how much they think through what piece of metal they are using, because die trials seem to crack a lot. Don't some die trials get struck on leather?

Young Numismatist

• Options
    edited July 4, 2022 11:56AM

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    I wonder how much they think through what piece of metal they are using, because die trials seem to crack a lot. Don't some die trials get struck on leather?

I'm not sure about US Mint pieces, but they do strike cardboard :)

1903 Gold Dollar Pattern in Cardboard

Wonder if PCGS would ever slab this?

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2022 12:09PM

It's incredible that that has survived for nearly 120 years! I didn't know they did cardboard patterns. I have no idea where I read leather, but I know that I saw it, maybe more than once.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the OP example is not genuine.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has this ever been shown before and have researchers published an opinion?

I would want to know the type of metal, then go through anything I could find from the Newman Numismatic Portal from the mint records in 1958. Maybe even check +/- a few years for ANY documentation of a die trial process. Metal used, departments involved, requisitioning materials, funding, etc

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    Has this ever been shown before and have researchers published an opinion?

I would want to know the type of metal, then go through anything I could find from the Newman Numismatic Portal from the mint records in 1958. Maybe even check +/- a few years for ANY documentation of a die trial process. Metal used, departments involved, requisitioning materials, funding, etc

The problem with this is that so very little about patterns or trials was ever written down I doubt any document of this trial exists. I doubt that the mint found it important enough to document every die trail ever made, so it makes weeding out counterfeits tough.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@MarkKelley and @FlyingAl it certainly could be fake, which is one reason I'm posting it here. Hopefully some of our error experts will chime in!

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2022 2:19PM

Counterfeit. Lincoln die looks bad. There are many off center die struck counterfeit 50's wheat cents, but done with a better die than this one

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

What could possibly have made the metal split that far away from the point of impact?

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2022 6:50AM

1st Striking thru two larger blanks, dual uniface before the counterfeit die was deployed with smaller uniface blank

@gonzer said:
    What could possibly have made the metal split that far away from the point of impact?

• Options
    edited July 9, 2022 10:52PM

This gets more interesting!

So, the auction ended so I can posted it here. This was offered for $875 by toned-coins on the bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325236587484

toned-coins wrote on eBay:
    Lincoln Trial Pattern ? - UNLISTED ? - EXTREMELY RARE ( Lot77630)

Please look at all my other listings, I like to carry VERY RARE - to - EXTREMELY RARE Coins, Tokens or Items. Many of them are Unique or One of a Kind, so you will probably not ever, ever, see them again. So please keep that in mind if you really like an item and are thinking about it, feel free to make an offer, and we will work with you, as it might just be gone next time you look for it.

Lincoln Trial Pattern ? - You decide what it's worth.

Mailed Insured First Class.

Thank you.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2022 11:36PM

The provenance is known as it came from Rob McNamara's estate via Don A. Smith, a Bob McNamara super collector. I'm a fan of both Bob McNamara and the Federal Coin Exchange so I would have loved to pick this up.

I hope the owner knows what it is.

Here's the earlier sale from Don Smith ending on April 24, 2022.

Also looks like toned-coins reused Don's photos from this auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255492477630

Don A. Smith wrote on eBay:
    FOR THE HERALDIC ART MEDAL COLLECTOR - LEAD DIE TRIAL W/ IMAGE OF 1958-D LINCOLN

.NEVER BEFORE LISTED AND ONE OF A KIND SPECIMEN - This SILVER die trial is from Robert McNamara's estate. This piece is a lead die trial that has the image of a 1958-D Lincoln cent. This piece was a forerunner for obverse design Robert would do for the FEDERAL COIN EXCHANGE of Cleveland. OH. A one of a kind piece so no second chance on this piece. When it's gone it may be gone for good.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm missing something. It's described as both silver and as lead (looks more like lead).

This piece was a forerunner for obverse design Robert would do for the FEDERAL COIN EXCHANGE of Cleveland. OH.

What were they producing there? Were they counterfeiting Lincoln cents?

• Options
    edited July 10, 2022 2:22AM

@JBK said:
    I guess I'm missing something. It's described as both silver and as lead (looks more like lead).

Probably just an error in the listing. I agree it looks like lead.

@JBK said:

Don A. Smith wrote on eBay:
    This piece was a forerunner for obverse design Robert would do for the FEDERAL COIN EXCHANGE of Cleveland. OH.

What were they producing there? Were they counterfeiting Lincoln cents?

Both Federal Coin Exchange and Bob McNamara were decent sized, long running operations so I doubt they were counterfeiting. Bob McNamara did a bunch of store cards for them so I'm guessing it was for a store card. I don't think using one side of a coin is counterfeiting, but they may have decided to move away from it just in case.

Here's one of the final issues with their name on the back. Photos courtesy of wpjson.

Here's one of their catalogs courtesy of veryfunbuy:

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

So @MarkKelley 's suggestion that it was struck by a "false die" was accurate. ;)

• Options
    edited July 10, 2022 3:17AM

@JBK said:
    So @MarkKelley 's suggestion that it was struck by a "false die" was accurate. ;)

Yes, but apparently by a well known and respected engraver, Bob McNamara, for a well known coin dealer, Federal Coin Exchange.

Federal Coin Exchange was run by Henry Lewis Writesel and later Michael Kolman who commissioned some (or all?) of the pieces from Robert McNamara.

Don A. Smith is one of the most important collectors of Bob McNamara's work so it's great that he is providing this history. He got into collecting Bob's work as a way to honor his (Don's) father who was a collector of Bob's work.

More in this thread: Henry Lewis Writesel and the Federal Coin Exchange

Here's another design Henry and Bob collaborated on showing Lincoln's profile.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file