Home Sports Talk

Are the Warriors seriously considering bringing back Kevin Durant?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

NBA writer Marc J. Spears sent out a Tweet that has the NBA world going crazy.

Marc J. Spears

"It’s no surprise to me that Warriors have interest in Kevin Durant, according to sources. So does more more than half the league. It’s KEVIN DURANT. You better make the call if you’re an NBA GM. It’s KEVIN DURANT."
3:14 PM · Jul 3, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

but it is 34 year old kevin durant.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2022 8:20AM

I don't see KD heading back to GS especially when you factor in what the Nets are asking for him.

edit: Brooklyn can't trade for a 2nd player playing on a rookie deal extension because Ben Simmons is on one which means Andrew Wiggins likely won't be the "all star" coming back for KD. This same rookie extension holdup is why KD to Miami for Bam,KD to PHO for Ayton or KD to Utah for Donovan Mitchell are all likely not to happen because the Nets had previously traded for Ben Simmons.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2022 12:24PM

Here's an interesting take on the KD situation from Colin Cowherd. Apparently Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green are in the loop about the Warriors interest in KD, but personally I don't see it happening.

edited July 4, 2022 1:27PM

If I were GS I wouldn't even think about it, KD is 34 years old and has had more injuries since he last played for GS. The Warriors have a lot of young talent and just won a title with this team, I wouldn't mess with that, you have your championship team together, keep them together. It's stupid to dissolve a championship team for a 34 year old, injury prone, social media obsessed jerk!

@doubledragon said:
    Here's an interesting take on the KD situation from Colin Cowherd. Apparently Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green are in the loop about the Warriors interest in KD, but personally I don't see it happening.

Colin has no idea what he's talking about,Brooklyn can't trade for Wiggins while Ben Simmons is on their roster. The NBA has this weird rule about teams trading for multiple max contract players that are on their max rookie scale extensions. This rule prevented Boston from trading for Anthony Davis that season after they traded for Kyrie Irving, you can trade for one of this type of contract but not two.

GS has some great young prospects that can be used in any potential KD trade but Wiggins or Simmons would need to be moved elsewhere for that deal to happen. Brooklyn is having a hard time moving KD while getting back a young all star caliber player because be it Andrew Wiggins,Jaylen Brown,Donovan Mitchell,Bam Adebayo,John Collins, DeAndre Ayton(this would be a Sign & Trade that would then hard cap the Nets meaning no more offseason moves) or any other young star on their first max contract, that NBA rule won't allow it to happen.

IIRC, the Rockets have control of the Brooklyn Nets first round picks in like 5 out of the next 6-7 seasons due to the James Harden deal. so even if the Nets took back one of those young all stars listed above and moved them elswhere for additional picks/players they would have zero incentive to be a tanking team at that point because any high draft pick will end up in Houston.

I think the Nets best scenario is just wait it out like Philly did with Ben Simmons until they find a deal worth making for the future of their franchise.

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Colin has no idea what he's talking about,Brooklyn can't trade for Wiggins while Ben Simmons is on their roster. The NBA has this weird rule about teams trading for multiple max contract players that are on their max rookie scale extensions. This rule prevented Boston from trading for Anthony Davis that season after they traded for Kyrie Irving, you can trade for one of this type of contract but not two.

GS has some great young prospects that can be used in any potential KD trade but Wiggins or Simmons would need to be moved elsewhere for that deal to happen. Brooklyn is having a hard time moving KD while getting back a young all star caliber player because be it Andrew Wiggins,Jaylen Brown,Donovan Mitchell,Bam Adebayo,John Collins, DeAndre Ayton(this would be a Sign & Trade that would then hard cap the Nets meaning no more offseason moves) or any other young star on their first max contract, that NBA rule won't allow it to happen.

IIRC, the Rockets have control of the Brooklyn Nets first round picks in like 5 out of the next 6-7 seasons due to the James Harden deal. so even if the Nets took back one of those young all stars listed above and moved them elswhere for additional picks/players they would have zero incentive to be a tanking team at that point because any high draft pick will end up in Houston.

I think the Nets best scenario is just wait it out like Philly did with Ben Simmons until they find a deal worth making for the future of their franchise.

Damn Eric, you should be an NBA GM or head coach, you're the most knowledgeable guy around here about this stuff, well done sir! 🍻

GS has a real chance of doing something that the 80's Celtics & Lakers and the 90's Bulls couldn't do, prolonging their title run past their main championship core of players.
    The Bird/McHale/Parish teams eventually got old/hurt with some horrible luck thrown in with both Len Bias & Reggie Lewis both dying at a young age
    The Lakers did eventually recover after Magic/Kareem/Worthy but that was after Signing Shaq/drafting Kobe years later.
    The Bulls still haven't built a team anywhere close to comparing to the Jordan/Pippen/Rodman era.

The Kobe Lakers after Shaq were able to win a couple titles and the Kawhi-led Spurs looked to be on their way near Tim Duncan's end but Kawhi wanted out.

Sure Curry,Klay & Green are getting up there in age but look at the rest of their roster...
    Wiggins is just 27, a former #1 pick and just started an all star game
    Looney is just 26 and getting better each year
    Poole is only 23, plus has 20+ppg off the bench/6th man of the year potential
    James Wiseman is just 21 and was the 2nd pick in the draft
    Jonathan Kuminga is just 19 and was the 7th pick in his draft
    Moses Moody is 20 and was also a lottery pick

add all of that to this below and it seems like a no brainer,imo.
    An owner willing to pay over DOUBLE the nba salary cap to put the best team possible on the court each year.
    A GM capable of finding good young talent anywhere in the draft,thru trades or free agency.
    A HC whose system has proven to win at a high level but also keep developing younger players to plug in along the way.

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Damn Eric, you should be an NBA GM or head coach, you're the most knowledgeable guy around here about this stuff, well done sir! 🍻

I'm not sure that I'd be a good one, there'd be too many moves made with my heart and not my head lol. That contract stuff has been reported everywhere and for Cowherd to keep throwing out his hot takes without someone working with him correcting him on it just shows that the guy is clueless.

NBA free agency and trade season is honestly my guilty pleasure going back to when I was a kid. Even though 99.9% of everything you read is just clickbait these days I still soak it all up like a crackhead lol. B)

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

I'm not sure that I'd be a good one, there'd be too many moves made with my heart and not my head lol. That contract stuff has been reported everywhere and for Cowherd to keep throwing out his hot takes without someone working with him correcting him on it just shows that the guy is clueless.

NBA free agency and trade season is honestly my guilty pleasure going back to when I was a kid. Even though 99.9% of everything you read is just clickbait these days I still soak it all up like a crackhead lol. B)

I hear you buddy, my drug of choice is Aaron Rodgers jokes, and I'm a hardcore addict. In particular his greasy and craggly appearance, the man looks like he belongs in a auto parts theft ring.

This is on so many levels of awesomeness lol

@erikthredd said:
    This is on so many levels of awesomeness lol

That is awesome! 😂😂😂😂