Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

$2 bills in the wild?

How often do you see a $2 bill in circulation? I would guess not often. Retailers don't like them because cash registers don't have a slot for them. If I see them, I ask for them in change and spend them to get them circulating. Recently I gave one to each of my two high school age grand kids and neither had ever seen one! One spent it and the other put it away, maybe a budding collector?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I regularly put them in circulation, and rarely, if ever receive them.

• Options
    SkippyTSkippyT Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

Just got this one in change today.. the cashier asked me if I minded getting a two dollar bill andI said "Sure" :-)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkippyT said:
    Just got this one in change today.. the cashier asked me if I minded getting a two dollar bill andI said "Sure" :-)

Star note to boot!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

Whenever I travelled or vacationed to the states I never got one in change.

So I asked my American cousin & she sent me one b/c she rarely saw them as well. This was 40 years ago, after I showed her my emerging CDN collection & she sent me a ratty 1976 bicentennial $2.00 in the early 80's. It was in such circulated/worn out condition that I ended up spending it on a trip to Florida.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

When I went to Europe some years ago, I took a bunch with me. I used for tips and they were well received by the recipients.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to work at a restaurant, a little over 2 years there and this is what I pulled out of change as a cashier :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2022 11:41AM

When I was a cashier back in the day, I never saw $2 bills. I did see some old 20's. When I worked in the restaurant industry, we had someone who always tipped in one dollar coins. I would have thought I would have seen some $2 bills being spent considering all that.

I don't count how I went to a coin store, and they gave me a red seal $2 bill in change.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few College Football teams travel as well, and in mass as the Clemson Tigers. To help illustrate their economic impact on the towns and cities they visit, they spend Tiger Paw stamped $2 notes in restaurants, retail stores, hotels and drinking establishments. On January 9th, 2017 the Clemson Tigers played the Alabama Crimson Tide for the National Championship at Raymond James Stadium here in Tampa. Both teams were in town for almost a week. I received this pair of Clemson Orange stamped notes in change that week.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 Mycurrencycollection.com is the site to check those star notes. Your note is from Fort Worth. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Two weeks ago I ordered a brick of 1,000 notes from my bank; I've already spent one of the ten packs.

• Options

Back in my day, stores hated $2.00 bills. Many people would tear off one corner because they thought the bills were bad luck. My Mother was paid every week in cash at a big department store. She would always get $2.00 bills in her pay envelope. AC