Home Sports Talk
Options

USC and UCLA in negotiations to join Big Ten in 2024

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I came out of retirement to just write that this is so wrong. This is the wake up call that should just end all the NCAA conference expansion nonsense... and let me be blunt... I am being polite. This illustrates that it is all about money even though I suspect there are some that would argue the Big Ten Western Division needs help...

USC and UCLA are truly great schools but their traditions need to stay within the framework of the old PAC 8 Conference.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

That is completely stupid!

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

$$$ talks.

USC/UCLA to the Big10 (16 teams)
    Texas/ Oklahoma to the SEC (16 teams)

So that leaves a few schools scrambling. I think it ends up with two super conferences of 20 teams each (4-10 team pods).

These teams better move fast....(8 teams)
    Clemson
    Miami
    FSU
    North Carolina
    Notre Dame
    Oregon
    Washington
    Utah

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2022 7:25AM

Past history, regional affiliations and identifying with longstanding college athletic conferences is simply not enough to thrive and prosper in today's society.

Money rules. It always has, it does and it always will.

The best (however you define best) college athletic programs will seek to position themselves at whatever table (or feeding trough) gives them the best chance to:

1. make money;

2. win championships; and

3. attract 5 star talent year after year after year (so year after year the team is at top and stays at the top).

So there will eventually be two or three athletic conferences that will be nationwide in geography, whose members are the cream of the crop. They will get all of the attention, money, talent and accolades they desire.

If you are not fortunate to be a member of this exclusive club, well tough luck for you. You can struggle to survive with all of the other also rans for table scraps.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

$C & uclol will get crushed by the big boys in the Big14. And each away game will add at least one day RT travel. Snow flurries in Sept? Good luck guys. Horrible for the athletes involved from California who chose not to go to school in the Midwest.

I heard this sordid affair has been orchestrated by FOX.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

......... and let me be blunt........it is all about money..........

Ya think so?.....💵

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pac-10 just got screwed, but it is their own fault, they did nothing to change the landscape over the last 5 years with shifting teams, they did nothing to expand their markets. Now the 2 big boys from the biggest market are no more, my alma mater Oregon State, will end up in the Mountain West, where my other alma mater, Oregon, probably the Big 12 with Udub, possibly Stanford and Cal. Where does that leave UA, ASU, CU, WSU, Utah? But again, they have no one to blame but themselves...............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Thank you Larry Smith.

The PAC will dissolve. Oregon and Udub and other schools will go east.
    Stanford and Cal might become independents because I doubt either school wants to travel 3,000 miles regularly to play a game. Although Cal had home and home arrangements with Texas, Old Miss, North Carolina in the last 6 years and won all six games.
    Stanford and Cal weren't chartered to be farm teams.

When you think about it, on the average about 2-3 players from each team in D1 get drafted. That means 20-25 don't and with the new look college players are low level pro athletes. 20-25 won't get enough of an education to work in a car wash. Your not going to be traveling and get into grad school for a professional career. With Few exceptions, it's the NFL, NBA or the scrap heap with a bad knee.

Ma'am, would you like fries with that?

Have a nice day
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tradition of the Big Ten Champ and Pac 12 Champ playing in the Rose Bowl is a thing of the past.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 10:53PM

Geography aside, UCLA and USC are a good fit for the Big Ten. They're the kind of school that fits that conference's profile. But...the travel will suck. Especially for the lesser sports that struggle with revenues, like swimming and the like. And, let's be real, neither UCLA or USC is competing for a B1G football title anytime soon.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Geography aside, UCLA and USC are a good fit for the Big Ten. They're the kind of school that fits that conference's profile. But...the travel will suck. Especially for the lesser sports that struggle with revenues, like swimming and the like. And, let's be real, neither UCLA or USC is competing for a B1G football title anytime soon.

Why are SC and UCLA a good fit? You just named 4 reasons why they are not
    Geography
    Travel
    Minor sports
    Competitiveness for championship in FB.

Inquiring minds?

The ONLY REASON is money and a TV contract. I can't think of another reason offhand.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smart move by the BIG TEN. Get those west coast standouts in football and basketball(UCLA).

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@streeter said:

@Tabe said:

Geography
    Travel
    Minor sports
    Competitiveness for championship in FB.

Inquiring minds?

The ONLY REASON is money and a TV contract. I can't think of another reason offhand.

I think the Big 10 takes some small amount of pride in academics as the Pac 12 does. More so than other big conferences who will remain unnamed. At the end of the day it's all about money for ALL OF THEM but I think the Big and the Pac like to think they have better academics. I acknowledge that's up for debate.

The lesser sports will have to form a regional conference. Makes no sense for the UCLA volleyball team to be flying to play Rutgers or Maryland for example.

• Options

I know the Big "10" wants Notre Dame. I wonder if BYU can break out of it's Big "12" deal. I think ND and BYU would be a dynamite pairing to bring to a conference. Brings the Chicago + Catholic market and the Rocky Mountain + LDS market. Those religious teams have FOLLOWER$.

• Options

@halosfan said:
    That is completely stupid!

I am not sure if "stupid" is the right word. I think it just proves what we all knew... these are minor league sports professionals and it's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

• Options

Seems ND had an opportunity to join the Big Ten years ago and basically squandered that opportunity.

I am just not accepting that this is a good long term fit. Sort of begs the question what would "Red" Sanders and Duffy Daugherty think...?

I mention Red mainly because he was the Iconic UCLA football coach and too many seem to just think of UCLA as a basketball school which is simply misguided. Daugherty is referenced mainly as the coach at MSU that battled Sanders' Bruins in the Rose Bowl in two separate classic match ups- this was well before the UCLA 1966 upset... Tommy Prothero was the UCLA coach for that match up.

Not sure what happens to the so-called PAC 12 now-

• Options

My belief at this point is that Oregon, Cal, Udub and O go in a similar direction. With SC it's all about the money first and foremost. They hated sharing equal TV revenue and other revenue with schools they consider 'lessor'.

I can tell you one thing, Stanford and Cal weren't chartered to be farm teams for the pros.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

USC football and UCLA basketball are the big ticket items. But the academics are top notch and fits nicely within the Big10. Former socal resident here, the weather will be a factor for the outdoor sports and also travel. At the end of the day, this is a revenue driven decision.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2022 9:28AM

USC and UCLA fans showing up for Big 10 road games in November.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:

High prestige schools with good academic pedigrees.

You could also be a snark and say that they underperform expectations in football :)

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is about money. The transfer portal is ruining college sports bg tomr. I still love College sports (especially football) but this makes no CENTS.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Big 10 (and their network) want the high population school markets. The same reason they took in Maryland (DC) and Rutgers (NYC).

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    The Big 10 (and their network) want the high population school markets. The same reason they took in Maryland (DC) and Rutgers (NYC).

Which is why I think ASU/UA are desirable by conferences. Phoenix is about the 5th biggest city I believe. I'll be interested to see where they land.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fans? Who the Hell cares about the fans as long as they are buying food and beer......................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Not to be confused with those who reside in the bitchen part of Encino....

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭✭

B10 and SEC schools must be pretty confident they are going to expand the College Football Playoffs. These lesser conferences (Pac-10, ACC, Big 12) are going to have an easier time producing undefeated conference champions.

Robb

• Options
    edited July 14, 2022 7:49AM

You're not hearing anything from the PAC right now because they're in the middle of a 30 day window of negotiating an offer from ESPN. That offer, if it is forthcoming, will probably determine if the PAC stays together or disbands.

There are a couple of schools in the PAC that have very little to offer in the way of TV viewership and that has always been a problem for the TV contract. One of the reasons why SC left the conference.

I have to hand it to the L.A. schools, they really blindsided the conference. UCLA has at least a $25 million athletic Dept deficit each year and picked up by Cal taxpayers. The increased revenue might pay for that and get the back rent paid on the Rose Bowl. Otherwise State of Cal will make the Rose Bowl unavailable to sucla. UCLA would have to beg SC to be able to use the Coliseum. That would be interesting because SC would demand payment and UCLA has no money.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@streeter said:
    You're not hearing anything from the PAC right now because they're in the middle of a 30 day window of negotiating an offer from ESPN. That offer, if it is forthcoming, will probably determine if the PAC stays together or disbands.

There are a couple of schools in the PAC that have very little to offer in the way of TV viewership and that has always been a problem for the TV contract. One of the reasons why SC left the conference.

I have to hand it to the L.A. schools, they really blindsided the conference. UCLA has at least a $25 million athletic Dept deficit each year and picked up by Cal taxpayers. The increased revenue might pay for that and get the back rent paid on the Rose Bowl. Otherwise State of Cal will make the Rose Bowl unavailable to sucla. UCLA would have to beg SC to be able to use the Coliseum. That would be interesting because SC would demand payment and UCLA has no money.

I know UCLA has a huge deficit in their athletic department but I imagine the football team is carrying it's weight, no!? It's certainly not the tennis or water polo team... though they do win a lot!

As for the Coliseum it does bring back memories of childhood as we had UCLA season tickets in the 70's and they played their home games at the Coliseum back then. They need to figure out a stadium on the westside but I suppose that's not earthly possible!

• Options

Larry
    To the best of my understanding, and I want to preface this by saying I'm more familiar with Cal and SC,

UCLA's football revenue does not cover the AD deficit. The MBB does quite well. Football is not why UCLA is going to the BIG. For UCLA, it's basketball. UCLA hands out free FB tickets and there are photos on the web of the Rose Bowl having 10,000 in the stands 15 minutes before kick off.

From my understanding, shortly we will know if the PAC disbands. The Regents(14) of the univ of california are not a happy bunch right now. They may go for blood. I think UCLA is going to be on the short end of some nasty litigation. Financially there is a lot of emotion right now and people want compensation for the negatives that UCLA has set in motion by their very quiet and well thought out move.

They cannot even pay rent on their home field, the Rose Bowl. Centennial Field or the Coli are the alternatives. They will pay rent now or hit the road. All that extra money gone down the drain .
    We refer to UCLA as Fly Wasserman Airways because that particular alum pays chip Kelley's salary. Among other things ha pays for.

I never liked the bums.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@streeter said:

Interesting. I really don't pay close attention these days but don't disagree with what you are saying. I'll be interested about the litigation potential. Not sure what obligation/agreements there are between UCLA and the Pac but will be interested to see.

As for Cal, and I mean this with respect toward their academic focus, but I wonder if they use this as an excuse to step down their financial obligations on the athletics side and basically step down a level in competition. Dominate the Mountain West for example. Just thinking out loud but it seems like Cal is a true academic institution (and at least before letting Russell White in) has had academic integrity. They might be able to keep that focus and still put decent teams on the field.

Stanford has too much money so doesn't really matter I imagine!?

• Options

Think about Washington, Oregon, the Bay Area, Colorado and AZ...Maybe the conference stays intact and they look for replacements. Obviously a huge tradition left which is wrong and unfortunate but maybe Boise State and San Diego State join or maybe they look elsewhere.... I dunno

• Options

@larryallen73 said:

@streeter said:

Interesting. I really don't pay close attention these days but don't disagree with what you are saying. I'll be interested about the litigation potential. Not sure what obligation/agreements there are between UCLA and the Pac but will be interested to see.

As for Cal, and I mean this with respect toward their academic focus, but I wonder if they use this as an excuse to step down their financial obligations on the athletics side and basically step down a level in competition. Dominate the Mountain West for example. Just thinking out loud but it seems like Cal is a true academic institution (and at least before letting Russell White in) has had academic integrity. They might be able to keep that focus and still put decent teams on the field.

Stanford has too much money so doesn't really matter I imagine!?

I doubt Cal will be deemphasizing FB. FB at Cal is responsible for covering about a billion$ in obligations such as the $400 million stadium renovation and Cal's 30 non revenue Olympic sports.
    Ought to be interesting in the next two weeks

BTW, Larry....Cal's NFL current payroll is 3x that of UCLA and 2x that of SC. 5th in the nation at almost $800 million per year. Only bama, LSU, tosu, and Georgia are more.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@streeter said:

BTW, Larry....Cal's NFL current payroll is 3x that of UCLA and 2x that of SC. 5th in the nation at almost $800 million per year. Only bama, LSU, tosu, and Georgia are more.

and they still can't win (or even get to) a Rose Bowl, they rarely have a good football team (or hoops for that matter), and their athletic department has been losing money for years. Butte College is ahead of many D1 schools too since they can also take credit for Aaron Rogers' contract! Eventually Butte College will have two alum in the NFL HOF and two in the all-time NFL top 100 - Aaron Rogers and Larry Allen. So Butte College is really the pride of NorCal collegiate athletics it seems to me!?

• Options

@larryallen73 said:

@streeter said:

and they still can't win (or even get to) a Rose Bowl, they rarely have a good football team (or hoops for that matter), and their athletic department has been losing money for years. Butte College is ahead of many D1 schools too since they can also take credit for Aaron Rogers' contract! Eventually Butte College will have two alum in the NFL HOF and two in the all-time NFL top 100 - Aaron Rogers and Larry Allen. So Butte College is really the pride of NorCal collegiate athletics it seems to me!?

Whatever.

Have a nice day