Bad topic choice, was asking if these were fake

SlickCoinsSlickCoins Posts: 658 ✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2022 1:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My bad

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 12:54PM

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 1:26PM

:)
    Thanks all

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cannot speak to the colonial but the rest of them are right as rain.

If I had that first coin, I would probably just throw it on eBay with a shrug of a description and let people more knowledgeable than me decide what it's worth. Even if it is a contemporary counterfeit, it probably has value to a collector of such.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2022 9:25AM

Lol William :) I only lol'd cause me and you both ruled against another coin which everyone passed.
    Also see the 8,,, flattened JMO
    PS it gets even better,,,, he actually is giving them a grade also :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 10:41AM

@SlickCoins said:
    Lol William :) I only lol'd cause me and you both ruled against another coin which everyone passed.

Contact mark. No big deal.

Why are we calling out some random guy here?

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish the 3 cent silver was a contemporary counterfeit. They're expensive as such!

peacockcoins

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I wish the 3 cent silver was a contemporary counterfeit. They're expensive as such!

How expensive? I've got one sonewhere.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 1:26PM

I'm not calling him out,,, my bad
    Thanks all

• Options

@JBK said:

@braddick said:

Here is one being offered (they don't come up very often):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/225033573870?hash=item34650bd5ee:g:tFQAAOSwAgBiA0jt

Here is one that sold:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/304476124903?hash=item46e430f6e7:g:jpIAAOSwotFidGiP

peacockcoins

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you are saying that someone who sells copies can only sell copies, or if they sell genuine coins they can only sell genuine coins?
    That is literally saying "this coin is real because those coins are real", which is not a valid argument.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 11:13AM

No not at all what I'm saying,,, I said I wanted to show you all what I seen when I bought my supposed fake coin surrounded by real coins all different years.
    That's all

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1st coin is not a colonial. It's an English Farthing or Half Penny that most likely that was found with a metal detector.

Me see no counterfeits, just a few that are abused!

• Options

I'm not trying to do anything but paint a picture of how one might think it is strange for a supposed reproduction to be amongst real old coins.
    I'm not a troll.
    Thanks all,,, it was a simple creditability check.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you were successful.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SlickCoins said:

Contact mark. No big deal.

Why are we calling out some random guy here?

He needs fresh trolling meat and is fishing for someone to get him started with the authentic vs counterfeit nonsense.

He can't play if we don't.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 11:51AM

@SlickCoins said:
    I'm not calling him out,,, just this is the vendor I got my display coin from :)
    Great vendor, I mean communication and transaction :)
    Thanks all

You are calling him out. You stated his name. And this thread is inappropriate. It is either you trolling the seller or advertising the seller. Either way, it doesn't really belong on the forum.

• Options

@SlickCoins said:
    I'm not trying to do anything but paint a picture of how one might think it is strange for a supposed reproduction to be amongst real old coins.
    I'm not a troll.
    Thanks all,,, it was a simple creditability check.

That's really not what you said in the OP. And all we really have is you erroneously "supposing" a coin to be a reproduction.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 12:54PM

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SlickCoins said:
    I'm not calling him out,,, just this is the vendor I got my display coin from :)
    Great vendor, I mean communication and transaction :)
    Thanks all

Saved from an edit.

This thread is just another "back door" attempt to reopen a discussion on the OP's counterfeit large cent - a discussion which the moderators have already closed twice.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 1:27PM

My bad
    I'm not trying to bring up my coin.

• Options

@braddick said:

@JBK said:

@braddick said:

Here is one being offered (they don't come up very often):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/225033573870?hash=item34650bd5ee:g:tFQAAOSwAgBiA0jt

Here is one that sold:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/304476124903?hash=item46e430f6e7:g:jpIAAOSwotFidGiP

Here is another one that is still active and pretty reasonable all things considered. I have an example of this particular die or I would have already purchased it:
    https://ebay.com/itm/354126158256

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

That one is cool.
    It closes soon too.

peacockcoins

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    He needs fresh trolling meat and is fishing for someone to get him started with the authentic vs counterfeit nonsense.

thanks. completely missed whom started the thread or i would have just moved along.

• Options

Fixed,,,, I'm to blame again,,,, all good
    Laters
    Thanks all

• Options

@braddick said:
    That one is cool.
    It closes soon too.

Someone sniped it at the opening bid, was it you?

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    edited June 30, 2022 6:53AM

PS I'm my opinion it was free advertising not calling anyone out, I was thinking about getting the coins,,,I still have questions on my other old cents and we know how well things go.

To answer about that mark in my opinion it's obviously not PMD and the mint in fact did do it & it's not supposed to be there therefore in my book hmmm think about it.

Anyways thanks all for everything :)

• Options

So I should've said to do the flattening on said coin,,,, wait what what what :)

Yes to flatten the supposed 8,,, well you're gonna have to make a machine doubling die in my opinion cause you'll never match it perfect,, plot thickens

This is where the fire within ignites for I've been in the Counterfeit coins forums part and see this a lot :(

Hmmm machine doubling cause I doubt you all will call it a double die would most likely be IMPOSSIBLE back then.

Let's see shall we :)

• Options

Look up "Longacre doubling" and lay off the sauce.

Sean Reynolds

• Options

@seanq said:

@braddick said:
    That one is cool.
    It closes soon too.

Someone sniped it at the opening bid, was it you?

Sean Reynolds

No. I was thinking about it and moved on with my day. That was a decent deal for a scarcer bogus 3c

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file