Home Sports Talk

So much for the Browns this year

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2022 7:41PM in Sports Talk

And once again, Looks like Haslem's Browns are down the tubes for the 2022 season.
Reading Watson will be suspended the entire season and the hopefuls are saying Mayfield will be the QB well it ain't looking good.

"Baker Mayfield ‘ready to move on’ from Browns"
https://www.cleveland19.com/2022/06/28/baker-mayfield-ready-move-browns/

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree with you Steve. The main problem?.....Mayfield has been treated poorly by management......and now they are in a fall back position with him. It will be interesting to see if he can muster the enthusiasm needed to lead the team. I hope the best for him......I wouldn't mind seeing the Browns in the playoffs. What a slam that would be for the Browns management...... That team is a screwed-up mess.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Yes, I agree with you Steve. The main problem?.....Mayfield has been treated poorly by management......and now they are in a fall back position with him.

Indeed , So reminds me of kicking your plain looking girlfriend to the curb cause you fell in love with a Hot looking woman at the bar and it turned out she really wanted nothing to do with you when she sobered up - LOL!!!

"HONEY I'M SORRY, PLEASE TAKE ME BACK" ---------- :D

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    And once again, Looks like Haslem's Browns are down the tubes for the 2022 season.
    Reading Watson will be suspended the entire season and the hopefuls are saying Mayfield will be the QB well it ain't looking good.

"Baker Mayfield ‘ready to move on’ from Browns"
    https://www.cleveland19.com/2022/06/28/baker-mayfield-ready-move-browns/

Recommend and actual is yet to be seen. I realize the Browns track record hasn’t been stellar but IMO before they signed Watson they must have had an idea how long the suspension was going to be. I won’t be surprised if it’s on 6-8 games. The league will take into account he sat out all last year. If I’m wrong than all I can say is “After all it is the Browns.”

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

They did it to themselves, they signed Watson for over 240 million, BEFORE they dealt with Mayfield AND before anyone knew what Watson’s punishment was going to be.

I think this whole Watson/Mayfield situation is hilarious! 😂😂😂

edited June 29, 2022 6:54AM

Watson is going to be suspended for the entire 22 Season and will be lucky if it it’s just that, he could be suspended “Indefinitely” to see if anymore allegations arise in the meantime

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

the browns were insane to sign him to a guaranteed contract.

insane I say

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

I see no way that Baker plays for the Browns, not after all this. I'd love to see him play and play well but I don't think there's a reconciliation coming.
    I still see a decent team on paper but without a good QB they will hover around .500

edited June 29, 2022 6:57AM

@Mjwags said:
    I see no way that Baker plays for the Browns, not after all this. I'd love to see him play and play well but I don't think there's a reconciliation coming.
    I still see a decent team on paper but without a good QB they will hover around .500

They were insanely stupid to sign Watson before moving Mayfield.

The reality is though that they are not losing much by playing Brissett over him anyways.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, I remember watching Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma and he had this swagger about him, he was confident, cocky, he had a "screw you" type attitude. I remember the flag planting incident after beating OSU, I remember him on the sideline making obscene gestures to the opposing teams sideline in the heat of battle, he had a bit of a nasty attitude towards the competition and it all seemed to give him an edge and his teammates elevated their level of play because of it. He seemed to lose that when he got into the NFL for some reason, he seems much more calm now and I have to be honest, I miss the Oklahoma version of Mayfield, he was a much more fiery competitor when he was with the Sooners.

Oklahoma Mayfield:

NFL Mayfield:

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

No NIL and agents in college ball at the time.

Now has to walk the line for endorsement deals.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only the suspension problem but there was a question of what is the moral thing to do in pursuing a qb, this was the risk when signing him. So you piss off half of your fans for signing someone of questionable character, then he has to sit as well, pissing off the other half of the fans. Probably will settle at 8-10 games. Winning is everything isn't it?

This reminds me of the Jail Blazer era. A totally bad character but pretty good on the court team. PDX was up in arms so much about the first thing that eventually management moved the Jail Blazers off the team. Character mattered in PDX and fan opinion swayed Blazer management. Will the Browns do the same? Probably not, they will assume that the pissed off fans will come around if they win. LOL........

Here in H-town, no one misses him, we moved on once it was fairly clear what kind of person he was, and thrilled to fleece the Browns for draft picks to get out of it. Well, until the lawsuits included the Tejanos as well... Hm................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

he had a bit of a nasty attitude towards the competition and it all seemed to give him an edge and his teammates elevated their level of play because of it. He seemed to lose that when he got into the NFL for some reason....

Probably in college he actually had buddies on the team watching his back. In the NFL you come in as cocky you leave as cockeyed cause the veteran lineman will conveniently let a DL "slip" by to smear the QB. Look what happened to alot of the hotshot QB's coming out of college - let's see, to name a few I can remember... Brady Quinn (Browns), Tim Couch (Jeez, another Browns QB), and our favorite Browns QB Johnny Manziel - Maybe it's IS the Browns organization that is the real problem...........

8 games and an “I’m sorry.”

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited June 29, 2022 5:46PM

@2dueces said:
    8 games and an “I’m sorry.

Don't worry, Dee Haslam will take control of the situation..........

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Brady Quinn (Browns), Tim Couch (Jeez, another Browns QB), and our favorite Browns QB Johnny Manziel - Maybe it's IS >the Browns organization that is the real problem...........

What a reminder, ouch, Derek Anderson was a superstar in comparison. Generally I think that is true, great organizations win, not so great ones are mired in being average for decades. This is why the Patriots probably won't be down for long, they have rotated personnel through the years, but had the best qb and management and just won no matter who else was on the field. All they need is for Mac Jones to get experience and watch out. No I am not at Pat fan, but this is what I observe. Browns? Not so much, we will see if/when DW finally gets on the field.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Mjwags said:

The reality is though that they are not losing much by playing Brissett over him anyways.

I agree. They're just stuck with Bakers salary which would be nice to move, or at least some of it. They will need the cap space next year for all the contracts they gave out this year.

@Mjwags said:

@perkdog said:

@Mjwags said:

I agree. They're just stuck with Bakers salary which would be nice to move, or at least some of it. They will need the cap space next year for all the contracts they gave out this year.

The rub is though that not many if any teams want to pay him what he is owed.

Apparently word around the NFL is they feel he is immature and not worth it for what you get with him

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

So the Browns have to pay almost 20 Mill to 2 QBs that won't play this season. The Browns give Bisset $4,650,000 which includes a 3 Million$ signing bonus for basically One year - How could he say No?