Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is this for real?

Comments

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's unlikely but very doable if you have a lot of money :)
    All of those are sets that are relatively affordable even in higher grades.

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WilliamF said:

Yeah, I guess, BUT
    To have all of those sets post all recently, with almost top ratings on ALL of them???
    We're talking about 11 sets here..................
    I just find it ODD

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@WilliamF said:

Yeah, I guess, BUT
    To have all of those sets post all recently, with almost top ratings on ALL of them???
    I just find it ODD

That is true, also a little strange that the set rating is exactly the same on 8 of them (64.00)... Agreed, a little odd

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options

@WilliamF said:

@alaura22 said:

@WilliamF said:

Yeah, I guess, BUT
    I just find it ODD

That is true, also a little strange that the set rating is exactly the same on 8 of them (64.00)... Agreed, a little odd

If you looked, all of the sets have the top grade. In all 11 sets!
    And, you probably noticed , they are all NEW
    With all the money you have I don't think you would be able to put together 11 sets TOP POP all at the same time
    Makes me want to give up on my quest(s)

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

some people collect but do not do registry and then decide to post them

these are new sets that were not available last year

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Everyman MINT sets have a maximum grade of 64. That is why you see top grade of 64. Regular everyman sets also exist with top grade of AU58.

Look at the LIBERTY SEATED SERIES COMPLETE SET, PROOF (1836-1891) set where chugum is #3.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/complete-sets/complete-sets-by-series/liberty-seated-series-complete-set-proof-1836-1891/859

The top 2 are all DLHansen sets. Chugum has collected a long time. He just added all these new everyman mint sets at once. My guess is this could be another DLH spare set for some of his family members. It could be a set that David Lawrence carries of his spares. The proof coins like these can't just be purchased easily they are extremely rare. Regardless, those are very nice sets that have been collected over a very long time no matter who owns them.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    The Everyman MINT sets have a maximum grade of 64. That is why you see top grade of 64. Regular everyman sets also exist with top grade of AU58.

Look at the LIBERTY SEATED SERIES COMPLETE SET, PROOF (1836-1891) set where chugum is #3.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/complete-sets/complete-sets-by-series/liberty-seated-series-complete-set-proof-1836-1891/859

The top 2 are all DLHansen sets. Chugum has collected a long time. He just added all these new everyman mint sets at once. My guess is this could be another DLH spare set for some of his family members. It could be a set that David Lawrence carries of his spares. The proof coins like these can't just be purchased easily they are extremely rare. Regardless, those are very nice sets that have been collected over a very long time no matter who owns them.

I totally understand how the Everyman sets are set up. The Everyman sets have a top grade of (AU-58+ BTW) and the Everyman Mint Sets have a top grade of MS-64, although I tried to get it changed to MS-64 + but I was shut down.
    The reason I posted this is because I just thought it was very strange that 11 sets were published within a small period of time.
    Yes, I get that a lot of people don't register their sets and wait for the last few days before the awards come out. But to see all of these sets hit at the same time with the best graded coins in all of them I just found very odd.
    It's all good, congratulations to them all.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2022 7:20AM

As a result of your post, I started an everyman mint set to see what it was like. It took less than a minute to add it. It is a bit strange as I have a couple MS65's in my main set and those are too high for the everyman set so it says I need to buy a 64 or less someday to fill the slot. It is designed so you don't compete against the extreme $$$ grades 64+ and above.

However, including a 1933 $10 Gold Eagle Indian in an "Everyman Mint Set" seems a bit wrong. Even in MS62 they are $250,000 plus, not exactly everyman's price range. I don't think it should qualify for this set as its "circulation" was limited at best. IMO, anyone with this 1933 coin should be only using it in the in the "Basic" $10 Indian Circulated Strike set.

For those not as familiar with set rankings, some coin slots are worth more weighting points than others; anywhere from 1-10 times more. This means a new lower-grade coin with a high weighting can move you up faster in a set registry listing than a much higher-grade common coin. Also, if you can fill any existing slot (even in a low grade), and that will move you way up fast vs even several higher-grade coins in existing slots.

• Options

Is this a typeO There is no Everyman Mint Sets included

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    As a result of your post, I started an everyman mint set to see what it was like. It took less than a minute to add it. It is a bit strange as I have a couple MS65's in my main set and those are too high for the everyman set so it says I need to buy a 64 or less someday to fill the slot. It is designed so you don't compete against the extreme $$$ grades 64+ and above.

However, including a 1933 $10 Gold Eagle Indian in an "Everyman Mint Set" seems a bit wrong. Even in MS62 they are $250,000 plus, not exactly everyman's price range. I don't think it should qualify for this set as its "circulation" was limited at best. IMO, anyone with this 1933 coin should be only using it in the in the "Basic" $10 Indian Circulated Strike set.

For those not as familiar with set rankings, some coin slots are worth more weighting points than others; anywhere from 1-10 times more. This means a higher-grade coin with a high weighting will move you up faster in a set registry listing than a much higher-grade common coin. Also, if you can fill any existing slot (even in a low grade), and that will move you way up fast vs even several higher-grade coins in existing slots.

So, How did you do with your set(s) that you added? Which ones, I'd like to take a look
    Mine are the type sets taht start with Cedar City.

Have you looked at the Complete Type Sets? They include 3- 1793 Cents, 1792 Bust Half Disme, Flowing Hair half dime, half dollar and dollar. Not exactly your "everyman" coins
    O well, it is what it is,

• Options

@Goldminers said:

WOW
    I just looked at your $10 Gold set, very very nice and #2 to boot
    Congrats
    Add some more sets!

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@Goldminers said:

WOW
    I just looked at your $10 Gold set, very very nice and #2 to boot
    Congrats

Thanks. My other $10 gold set is #6, and it won't go up from there because I don't want to add things like 1907 wire or rolled edge examples, 1920-S, 1930-S, or 1933 LOL coins as I need the funds for other items. My goal is to get this set of $10 Indians all in 63-65+ range and get them regraded or reconsidered once with True Views and CAC on a few. That will be a nice set to put into a digital album and keep a bit longer term.

You have more than 60 active type and other sets with some beautiful historical coins that are high quality. The 1877 Indian cent is a beauty as are those highlighted in your top 10. Very nice.

I agree, trying to compete for coins that billionaires like DLH and Co. still need to have in their many sets will frustrate most collectors. Best to just collect what you like. The registry is a great tool for many better reasons other than competition.
    Cheers.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

Thank you for your kind comments on my collections.
    I also looked at your sets and they are incredible!
    That Modern Gold set is amazing!!! As are all the others you have built, I am in awe............
    We both share in the passion for coins, very glad I met you if only here online, and I was able to see the remarkable sets you have
    Thank you