Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lincoln Toners

rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally went through a few rolls of 53-S and 55-D that I picked up on a road trip late last year, and found what I consider a couple very nice toners. I wrote "wow" on both 2x2's, and indeed each time I look at the coins I am wowed by them. My photos don't do them justice but they'll give you the idea of what they look like. Just thought it would be nice to share them:

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 9:22AM

Beautiful toners you have there!
    I agree, something special about toned Lincolns compared to any silver coin!

1970s pf. Large Date

1968s pf.

1943s Steelie

This one may be environmental damage?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I am not a cent guy but I have to agree with the WOW! like minted an hour ago. What grade do you think these may be. ?

• raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love toned Lincolns.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

O.k., this might be a trade secret but where do you find rolls of 70 year old Lincolns?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look great condition wise, but I'm not seeing the WOW toning.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:
    O.k., this might be a trade secret but where do you find rolls of 70 year old Lincolns?

You just need to ask around. People bring rolls in to dealers all the time. I happened on a big purchase of rolls brought in by a customer that included a mint bag of 55-D and about 100 rolls of various dates of Wheats from the late 30's to '58. Here in CA there are probably 5-10 other guys on the constant lookout for such rolls, and usually the story is "I just sold a bunch of rolls yesterday", but this time I got them. Wheat rolls are not at all uncommon back into the late '30's, so it's just a waiting game for the material to become available. I bet the story is the same in every big city across the country.

@gumby1234 said:
    They look great condition wise, but I'm not seeing the WOW toning.

As I said, my photos don't do the coins justice. The toning is not deep but the colors are nice and the luster, which shows better in-hand, is strong.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

They are all over Feebay

• rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:

@pmh1nic said:

They are all over Feebay

You're right in that you can buy rolls of 70 yr old Lincolns on eBay, but most of the rolls available there are not worth owning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file