Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

188? Canada Quarter - any value as-is?

I can't quite see the final digit of the date... leaning toward 1883. Looks like the 1880s had some scarcer dates but without that final digit being clear, is there any real value? Thank you for any input.

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

I would guess an 1886, but who knows. That date had some varieties, so maybe someone could look elsewhere on the coin to see it it's one of the '86 varieties.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you cannot determine the date it is worth sterling silver melt. And even if you can determine the date there is not a lot of demand for such a worn coin unless a very scarce date or variety. It appears to be an 1883 from here. JMHO.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 3:19AM

@rec78 said:
    If you cannot determine the date it is worth sterling silver melt. And even if you can determine the date there is not a lot of demand for such a worn coin unless a very scarce date or variety. It appears to be an 1883 from here. JMHO.

I "saw" 1883 as well. And agree with the rest of the statement. Without a clearer date, it's just worth the silver value alone. Too bad, 'cause it's not a bad looking circulated piece, otherwise.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TBHTBH Posts: 2
    edited August 9, 2022 7:56AM

It's 1885
    That is the only date possible with this particular reverse and obverse combination.

Edit to to delete the reference to 1880,
    I( forgot that 1880 is an H mintmark coin.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is an 85 and you can show it, it is still worth a few extra bucks.
    H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • MJ1927MJ1927 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

The Canadian quarters from 1880-1883 had the Heaton mint mark on the reverse underneath the maple boughs. So you'd be looking at 1884-1889, all of which have lower mintages than the 1880-1883 coins, but I agree with the above that without any definitive proof of a date, the premium on this coin is unfortunately significantly lower than the date it once carried, deserves.

• TBHTBH Posts: 2
    edited August 9, 2022 8:06AM

For what it's worth (melt value ), only 1885 has obverse #2 combined with a short bough ends reverse with broken stems and no H mintmark.
    It can be no other date.