Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Are there any US Banknotes/Currency bibles?

SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2022 7:11AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

The last year or so I've spent far more time buying banknotes than coins, but I've almost exclusively stuck with world notes that just looked fun to me. I'd like to start looking at older US notes. There are different sizes, gold and silver certificates, regional bank issues, colonial, fractional, etc. So many areas that I don't know where to begin! Are there any reference books that are considered the bibles of various types that I could get to learn about them and look at photos? I'm not so worried about a price guide for now. I want to know what stuff is first.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reference this often and it’s chocked full of valuable information.

• Options

Thanks, @Steve_in_Tampa I’ll take a look on eBay and see what’s around. This seems to be what I’m looking for. Something with a decent all around coverage so I can get a basic understanding. Someday if I get more specific I can search out more focused resources. Do you have any preferences with US notes that you would recommend I look into more. I’m a fan of nice designs, but reasonable prices to begin with, as I suppose we all are :D I might just start accumulating some various types, get them graded, and continue from there focusing more and more as I learn and gain experience. That’s essentially what I did with coins and focused so much I went right on to banknotes 😂😂

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 2:21AM

@SiriusBlack said:
    Do you have any preferences with US notes that you would recommend I look into more.

I love ‘em all, but I especially love the history and design of most large size notes. United States Notes (Legal Tender), Silver Certificates and Nationals. The book I recommend has insightful advice for novice collectors including how to be a smart buyer. Your willingness to research will give you an advantage and your patience will make you a good buyer.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:

@SiriusBlack said:
    Do you have any preferences with US notes that you would recommend I look into more.

I love ‘em all, but I especially love the history and design of most large size notes. United States Notes (Legal Tender), Silver Certificates and Nationals. The book I recommend has insightful advice for novice collectors including how to be a smart buyer. Your willingness to research will give you an advantage and your patience will make you a good buyer.

@Steve_in_Tampa is spot on here. I was going to suggest some online sources but there's nothing like a good hard copy book, catalogue or encyclopedia! There was no book when I started collecting Bank of Canada notes. Later, I discovered one in our local library & later still bought a used Charlton off some collector. After my first new copy, I started forming some proper collector goals & this alone has saved me money plus helped me know exactly what I wanted & what was of no interest. They're indispensable IMO.

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

If you are looking for your original post, I would go with Friedberg's currency...here is the latest but you can find earlier editions on Ebay relatively cheap (these notes have not changed!). The only thing different in new volume is additional small size notes with their new Friedberg numbers.
    https://amazon.com/Paper-United-States-Arthur-Friedberg/dp/0871845202

• Options

Thanks all of you! I’m going to see what I can find online for those two books. Maybe I can find a used copy. Sometimes we can borrow them at work, or at the least I can flip through them and see first hand if I like one over the other.