Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If a coin submitted to CAC doesnt get stickered...

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happens to the fee? Is it credited to your account for future submissions or ?

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 9:23AM

Yes, for those that don't receive the bean, the fees are placed into your acct for future submissions or you can just ask for the money to be returned to you...provided you are a collector and not a dealer.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are a collector yes, dealers pay for each coin sticker or not. Personally, I think that CAC should treat collectors the same as dealers, that would slow down the number of people sending in the kitchen sink just because they can.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't realize the fee was refundable if the coin submitted didn't sticker. I don't see anything about that on the CAC website. Perhaps it is on the submission form, which apparently is only available to collector/members, and new memberships are not accepted.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

They want to turn around coins in one week, that's their business model. They have asked Collector accounts not to ship until July 15th. The $16 charged to collectors is sufficient since Dealers have the advantage of grading ability and intend to sell the coin anyway.

I agree that sending everything you own is pretty lowbrow. I have only sent coins I was pretty sure would make the cut. My success rate is about 75%.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I found in writing was in my membership acceptance letter:

"Currently, you will not be charged for coins that do not sticker." But it goes on to say, "these prices and practices are subject to change."

Tim

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    But when you send the same coin in 7 times and it finally stickers they also send you a kitchen sink >:);)

My record is 4x for one coin, and it beaned on #4 (shoulda beaned in round 1)........

But no kitchen sink in return. I guess I have to find a 7er to get that. ;)

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, so this may seem kind of wrong, but I don't send the fee for each coin I submit, I send enough to cover the coins I think will sticker...

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Ok, so this may seem kind of wrong, but I don't send the fee for each coin I submit, I send enough to cover the coins I think will sticker...

I agree - it sounds wrong, unless you already have a credit on account.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

.... You sell it for melt value.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:

Then why send coins that you think won't sticker?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rays said:
    I didn't realize the fee was refundable if the coin submitted didn't sticker. I don't see anything about that on the CAC website. Perhaps it is on the submission form, which apparently is only available to collector/members, and new memberships are not accepted.

JA is happy to use the review process for "collector members" as an educational exercise and that is why he doesn't (currently) charge for coins that don't sticker. You can always ask for notes/feedback and he graciously has called me before when I asked for feedback on a few higher value coins.

While I think it would be easier to just increase costs and charge collectors for all coins reviewed vs stickered to keep turnaround times fast, he wants to educate collectors and help them learn to identify problem coins before they even purchase them. He's a wealth of knowledge and I'm grateful for the service he provides!

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then why send coins that you think won't sticker?

I send "b" coins on the oft chance they will sticker.. Also I get about 60% stickers so I use that average for calculating my initial payment. I also always have a credit balance..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file