Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you collect Exonumia, medals, etc. --- Do things appear to have slowed??

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have moved away from coins and now collect almost exclusively medals, particularly SC$'s and Exhibition medals, particularly those from the 1892-93 World's Columbian Exhibition. It seems to me that things in those areas of collecting have slowed considerably. That became apparent to me perhaps a year or more ago and has really been noticeable during most of 2022. Am I alone in this assessment or have other's noticed it, too??

As a consequence the forum doesn't have nearly as many threads about such things and @Zoins, a previously prolific poster, has been conspicuous in his absence. Coupled with a lack of items at the major auctions I find myself almost bored.

Maywood

Comments

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect Patriotic CWTs, and I have found things much slower. There is still some stuff, but it’s harder to find. I also think prices are starting to ebb. I know three collectors/collections that sold off, so that may cause some price reductions for rarer stuff.

I also see lots of stuff sitting on eBay for long periods of time. Seems less people actively pursuing the tokens.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2022 6:01PM

@Maywood said:
    I have moved away from coins and now collect almost exclusively medals, particularly SC$'s and Exhibition medals, particularly those from the 1892-93 World's Columbian Exhibition. It seems to me that things in those areas of collecting have slowed considerably. That became apparent to me perhaps a year or more ago and has really been noticeable during most of 2022. Am I alone in this assessment or have other's noticed it, too??

As a consequence the forum doesn't have nearly as many threads about such things and @Zoins, a previously prolific poster, has been conspicuous in his absence. Coupled with a lack of items at the major auctions I find myself almost bored.

Maywood

Well, I collect France art medals (my icon pic is a gold medal from the Paris Exposition of 1878). The prices seem to have gone way up, but not their values if selling. The spread between what sellers are asking and what the medals are worth is too far a divide for me now.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2022 9:58PM

@Maywood said:

Maywood

Thanks for the mention! Things have been very busy with a few things. The one that's most coin related is that I'm trying to write more magazine articles which can be saved for posterity. These require a different type of post construction which I'm working on making more efficient. You can see an article in MintErrorNews.com here:

https://minterrornews.com/news-3-22-22-exciting-patterns-from-the-heritage-fun-2022-auction.html

Writing these articles also means i need to start taking much better photos, like the kinds that robecs, coinsarefun, justin and others take. I haven't even started on this yet and it will take time.

That, and I've just been super busy, with a few things being prioritized higher than coins now, notably a new job and exercise. I used to ride centuries (100 miles at a time on the bike) and run (5k, 10k up to half marathon). I used to spend hours and hours on exercise which has been replaced by sitting in front of a computer surfing Heritage, Stack's, eBay, etc. I'm trying to get a balance back. I just got a Bowflex VeloCore bike which is awesome as it lets me stream Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, etc. I just need it to let me shop coins!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2022 9:48PM

I should put in a plug for Jeff Shevlin's So-Called Dollar Fellowship Gathering / Symposium. I hope you get a chance to go :)

And also mention that I just splurged on an eBay exonumia item!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    It’s not hot right now that’s for sure but people still try to price like it is
    I collect beaver coins like @Lakesammman and @Zoins I haven’t see very much fresh material available

Hey hey little fella 🦫. It’s alright. We’re new to collecting beavers and these folks have been collecting along time. I know we have posted several beavers but there’s many we don’t know about. I know we have PM’d and not heard back. It’s ok.
    Maybe some day we’ll make the grade. 😉🙀🦫
    For now let’s just keep looking.

There’s been a noticeable decrease in SCD. tokens and fair medals.
    Agreed, fortunately we can find coins we don’t have and have done well with offers. 😎

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file