Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

9 acient coin identification gelp request

Hello,

I have here 9 coins that I could not find online. Any chance anybody recognize them?

Any thought would be highly appreciated! Thanks :)

E

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is an excellent illustration of why we do encourage people, when posting coins to identify, to post just "one coin per thread".

Part of the problem here, is trying to figure out which two pictures belong together to form the front and back of each coin. Another part of the problem is, there's only 17 pictures, so for 9 coins, one of your pictures is missing. But given those limitations, I'll see what I can do to put things in order.

Coin 1: I assume pictures 1 and 3 go together, judging by the shape of the coin. Looks Roman Provincial; can't tell which city. Emperor looks very youthful, perhaps Gordian III or Severus Alexander.

Coin 2: the scalloped one, pictures 2 and 14. Egypt, 10 milliemes 1943.

Coin 3: pictures 4 and 17, I assume. Looks vaguely Byzantine, but it's been acid-cleaned to death. Not sure if it's identifiable.

Coin 4: pictures 5 and 8. Byzantine emperor, copper follis. Can;t identify the Emperor but it will probably be from sometime in the 500s to 700s AD.

Coin 5: pictures 6 and 11 look like they belong together. It appears to be from one of the Indian States, or perhaps Iran or Afghanistan. 1600s to 1800s time period.

Coin 6: pictures 7 and 12 definitely belong together. This is a Late Roman Bronze coin, "anonymous city commemorative" type, depicting a personification of the City of Constantinople on the obverse, and Victory on the reverse. Dating from around the 330s AD.

Coin 7: pictures 9 and 15 (the bright green one). That colour is definitely not good, looks like advanced bronze disease has taken hold here. It probably was originally a Roman Provincial of some kind, but I think it's now just an unrecoverable crumbly mess. Sorry.

Coin 8: pictures 10 and 13 belong together. Another Late Roman Bronze, this time a "camp-gate" type. Can't identify the emperor but probably Constantius II, circa 320 AD.

Coin 9: the only un-mentioned picture is number 14, the thing with the square incuse stamp. Sorry, no idea there; I'm not even entirely sure it's a coin.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)