Home Precious Metals
Options

3 oz poured silver bar….what company?

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any idea on the maker on this one?

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

M & B Mining. Called an Omega bar because the monogram of the company name looks like the Greek letter omega.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2022 8:44PM

The size of the 3, the font of the lettering, the size and placement of the logo, and the casting just don't look right to me. Everyone got their own view.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• Options

That’s the back side if it’s helpful.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2022 7:05PM

Looks real to me, did you weigh it or test it anyhow?

Thanks

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2022 5:06AM

@doubleeagle07 said:
    Hate to tell you but i'm like 99% sure its a fake M&B Mining Omega bar. The stamp is all wrong. Also on the back i'm pretty sure the casting is not right. I saw one of these on Ebay.

The stamp is all right, not wrong. There are a couple of versions. Here are examples of each, 1st and 2nd generation:

• Options

It’s real silver for sure. There’s a similar one that sold on eBay but it was a little banged up. Seller said it was a 1969 casting. Not sure how he knew. More modern than the other versions posted maybe?

I just bought it out of a small collection from a 90 year old woman that had it a long time. Don’t see why anyone would fake those bars that long ago. I don’t think they had the following or value they have today.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is legitimate. Yes, the "3" is significantly different. But it is not unusual for someone to grab a different number punch off the self for use on a few bars. At the time these were made, they were not produced as collectors' items. The only thing that mattered was that the information on the bars was accurate. The particular font was not all that important to the maker.

Compare the original post bar (first picture) to the two bars on the right in the group picture.

Note how the "U" in OUNCES is positioned a little low and a little to the right on all three. Also the "O" in TROY is a little low on all three. So I believe the same punch was used for that part on all three bars. So either all three are fake, or all three are real. I think all three are real.

• Options

Some info about Omega bars:

https://silveringotinfo.com/doku.php?id=m:mandbmining:history

The couple had several companies making these bars.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@idratherbgardening said:
    Some info about Omega bars:

https://silveringotinfo.com/doku.php?id=m:mandbmining:history

The couple had several companies making these bars.

Cool website. I hadn’t seen them before. 👍

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Them older bars are cool to see