Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Unique Banknote

This Romanian 1999 2000 Lei polymer note is the most unusual note I have. It has 2 windows beautiful depictions of the solar eclipse and the route it took across the country. The most interesting feature is shining a laser through one of the windows projects the solar system on a wall. Does anyone know of any other interesting notes like this or just a very unusual note. It is also the first European polymer
banknote.

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool note. I’ve emailed a friend that has considerable knowledge about these and am waiting for a reply.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

That's a beauty @rmuniak & a science teacher's dream note! You've suddenly made me want to get one!

I feel that most of today's polymer banknotes are packed with cool security features & these notes continue to impress (so many of the security features are so well hidden that they remind me of today's video game's "easter eggs,") They're intricacy of the security devices typically surprise collectors & it usually takes a bit of tinkering (tilt/shine through light) to actually discover (see) them!

"Half-Asleep Chris" does a great video on Canada's 1st polymer notes here. There are so many security features within these notes that some aren't mentioned by the BOC (like the # seen when looking through the Maple Leaf). This is shown briefly on the BOC youtube video introducing the new series. Chris also covers how when you shine a laser light through the maple leaf that the denomination is also shown (which kicked up a bit of a stir 10 years ago when the $50/$100 were first introduced amongst us diehard collectors).