Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1870-S Half Dime Question

VeepVeep Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭

The current Coin World has a story about this unique coin. In the story, it’s mentioned that the coin was discovered in a Chicago dealer’s junk box in 1978. Does anyone know whom that dealer was?

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Comments

• Options
    rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t know, but I’d love to. See if he’s still around so I can pay him a visit and do some cherrypicking myself Lol

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2022 10:19AM

Not buying that "junk box" find story. A MS coin that was found in a junk box? Not unless someone "planted" it to get rid of it, or a similar story like the Salvation Army kettle gold coins that are donated at Christmas time. Very doubtful.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Not buying that "junk box" find story. A MS coin that was found in a junk box? Not unless someone "planted" it to get rid of it, or a similar story like the Salvation Army kettle gold coins that are donated at Christmas time. Very doubtful.

agreed

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the coin was stolen from the cornerstone of the San Francisco Mint, and a cover story was cooked up to obscure its origins. I have no evidence to support this conspiracy theory whatsoever, but wouldn't it be one of the greatest numismatic crimes ever?

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing story! I knew someone here could add-in some details

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file