Home Sports Talk
Options

Stanley Cup controversy - Should the game winning goal have counted?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

You all witnessed what happened last night in the Stanley Cup Finals, the Colorado Avalanche won the game when Nazem Kadri scored the game winning goal in overtime against the Tampa Bay Lightning, but Lightning head coach Jon Cooper was furious after the game, saying the goal should not have counted because the Avalanche had 6 men on the ice.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 23, 2022 9:53AM

The game sheet says there were 6 players on the ice when the goal was scored.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Yes! As a rule the refs only make a call if the player in question the one near the boards touches the puck.

• Options

Here is what Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said after the game:

"This one is going to sting much more than others, just because it was taking on … it was potentially … I don’t know … It’s hard for me,” Cooper said in his short postgame conference Wednesday night. “It’s going to be hard for me to speak … you’re going to see what I mean when you see the winning goal. My heart breaks for the players because we probably still should be playing.”

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2022 3:04PM

None of it counts! I keep telling you, I'm from New York and I'm old school NHL. Any team south of Philly doesn't count!! 😂 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it depends on how the refs were calling it that game.

Looking at the box score, there were only 4 penalties called, 2 on each team. All minor penalties and no Too many men penalties. So I assume the teams were pushing the limit on shift changes.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

I guarantee you if the roles were reversed and the Lightning had won this way, Jon Cooper would gladly take the victory.