Home Sports Talk
Options

Worst individual performances in sports history

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Jerad Eickhoff gave up 10 runs in his debut for the Pirates last night, in honor of this stinkfest, what are some of the worst individual performances in sports history that you can remember?

Comments

• Options

I'll certainly never forget when my Panthers played the Cardinals in the 2009 playoffs, our quarterback Jake Delhomme accounted for a total of 6 turnovers that day, he threw 5 interceptions and had 1 fumble.

Passer rating: 39.1

» Completions: 17

» Attempts: 34

» Passing yards: 205

» Touchdowns: 1

» Interceptions: 5

» Fumbles: 1

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

NOTHING, AND I DO MEAN N-A-D-A can top the 1986 world series game 6 and the Bill Buckner error at first base.

Buckner who had bad ankles, was left in at first base by the BRAIN FROZEN John McNamara, instead of putting Dave Stapleton at first. The ball to first was not much more than a dribbler, and like a perfect croquet shot, it went right between Buckner's legs and the Fat Lady began to sing. The ball slowly rolled down the first base line and the extra inning game was soon turned into a disaster. Any Red Sox fan of that time will easily attest to that being the most horrific experience they endured in their Red Sox memory.

As you will see, Billy Bucks was finally at peace with Red Sox fans after years of torment.
    RIP Billy Bucks, gone at 69 years old.

https://youtu.be/IgRyBNBmN7Q

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cried and prayed for Bill Buckner and I'm a New Yorker!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Watching that video, I didn't realize Bill Buckner had a sort of premonition about it happening a week before the game, that is insane.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2022 9:20AM

I know Cowboys tight end Jackie Smith was sick about dropping this catch in the Super Bowl.

Jackie Smith's dropped pass in the endzone was so bad, even long-time broadcaster Vern Lundquist was sympathetic.

It was third down, Dallas was driving on Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XVII. The Cowboys trailed by a touchdown and had the ball on the Steelers' 10-yard line. Quarterback Roger Staubach faked the hand-off and in rhythm threw a strike to tight end Jackie Smith in the endzone.

The ball would hit Smith between the 8-and-the-1 on his jersey and fall to the ground incomplete. Lundquist famously said, "Bless his heart, he's got to be the sickest man in America."

The drop wound up being the difference in the game as the Steelers went onto win Super Bowl XIII 35-31.

Unfortunately for Smith, most people only know him for that drop. In reality, Smith was an exceptional tight end and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I know Cowboys tight end Jackie Smith was sick about dropping this catch in the Super Bowl.

Jackie Smith's dropped pass in the endzone was so bad, even long-time broadcaster Vern Lundquist was sympathetic.

It was third down, Dallas was driving on Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XVII. The Cowboys trailed by a touchdown and had the ball on the Steelers' 10-yard line. Quarterback Roger Staubach faked the hand-off and in rhythm threw a strike to tight end Jackie Smith in the endzone.

The ball would hit Smith between the 8-and-the-1 on his jersey and fall to the ground incomplete. Lundquist famously said, "Bless his heart, he's got to be the sickest man in America."

The drop wound up being the difference in the game as the Steelers went onto win Super Bowl XIII 35-31.

Unfortunately for Smith, most people only know him for that drop. In reality, Smith was an exceptional tight end and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Staubach was a great QB and that pass was a terrible pass. Smith was in full stride and needed the pass thrown with some lead....instead he had to completely stop on a dime, his legs completely went out from under him, and if you look at the ball it was a wobbly short pass. I've always thought Smith was basically unlucky on this play. That was a junk pass. All things considered....not an easy catch whatsoever.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2022 10:07AM

When the Russian National Hockey Team lost to the Americans during the 1980 Olympics,the chant USA USA was first heard during this game at Lake Placid, we Canadians saw this game live on our national tv, ABC fearing a Russian walk over did not show the game live but showed a replay of the Yanks winning later during the day.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

He's become my version of Bill Buckner, why didn't he just go ahead and completely humiliate himself.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff Van Gundy

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

For one school to have the best and the worst in college FB is not easy. THE PLAY,Cal vs Stanford

&
    Wrong way Reigels

https://youtu.be/dA8ShsySc48

Have a nice day
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Every James Harden playoff series.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    For one school to have the best and the worst in college FB is not easy. THE PLAY,Cal vs Stanford

&
    Wrong way Reigels

https://youtu.be/dA8ShsySc48

Here he is on audio talking about that wrong way run. Short clip. https://youtu.be/T4jd4KhtJbc

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/P2AZH4FeGsc

That poor downhill skier.