Home Sports Talk
Options

Red Sox GM Bloom

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭

GM Bloom has done a fantastic job putting together a team which has to be seen as a team to be in World Series contention for years to come.

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this because they've been terrible against decent teams, but rebounded to fourth place against teams with losing records, or because Martinez, Eovaldi, Hernandez, Wacha, Hill and Vasquez are free agents after the season and Bogaerts has an opt-out?

• Options

Free agents are available from all the teams as that is the way they do it now. They come and go as the wind blows. This year they are where they are and the next few weeks will give us a better picture of who will do what as far as the teams go. I think Eovaldi, Hernandez, Wacha and Vasquez will re-sign but what do I know. Its not my money these ridiculous owners are spending.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    GM Bloom has done a fantastic job putting together a team which has to be seen as a team to be in World Series contention for years to come.

The GM doesn't hit, catch, throw or run the bases. He has made financial decisions, no more, no less. There is NO guarantee that any money offerings or decisions made by those who don't wear a uniform will be meaningful between the white lines. Red Sox history is rife with those who failed to perform or had lackluster appearances.

Free agencies and opt out options portend the future. Last I looked, the Red Sox are MIRED in 3rd place, 12.5 games out, having just played the hapless Tigers.

Let's see what you think if key players bolt elsewhere for the big bucks. Years to come?? Really?

• Options

Let them go where wherever they want to whatever teams greedy owners that have tons of money want to give them.
    That is why baseball has deteriorated to where a lot of teams are not even able to compete anymore.
    The next month will decide if the Rsd Sox have a good team as they play mostly in their own division.
    Once the season ends and playoffs start any given team can win a short series and we shall see what happens.

GO RED SOX!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Let them go where wherever they want to whatever teams greedy owners that have tons of money want to give them.
    That is why baseball has deteriorated to where a lot of teams are not even able to compete anymore.
    The next month will decide if the Rsd Sox have a good team as they play mostly in their own division.
    Once the season ends and playoffs start any given team can win a short series and we shall see what happens.

GO RED SOX!

You have just seriously contradicted your opening post!

• Options
    edited June 24, 2022 8:27AM

They have come along nicely with help from the farm and they should do well in the playoffs. It remains to be seen what happens in the off season. Bloom has done a good job with what he put together and who knows what will happen after the season is over.. Ownership has plenty to say then as to how much money they want him to spend.
    You say they have only beat up on weak teams but you forget that strong teams are supposed to do exactly that and the Sox now have a strong team..

• Options

I struggle to appreciate your logic in some of your posts. First you begin with Bloom doing a "fantastic job", now its a "good job"...confusing.

@tommyrusty7 said:

So you're saying who cares where key Red Sox players play next year? Huh? Aren't they the linchpins of the team? Bogearts, Martinez, etc, etc, those who have either opt out clauses, or become free agents in 2023. How does that square with the other comment about how the current Red Sox team "has to be seen as a team to be in WS contention for years to come." Doesn't sound like instead of Bloom locking them down, you don't care if they all show up in pinstripes in Fenway in 2023. We have seen that movie already, Clemens, Ellsbury, Damon, Lyle, Tiant, Boggs, Youkilis (now the sorry once in a while announcer), Ruth doesn't count, he was sold to finance a no-no-Nanette play by the owner. But, you get the idea.

Then you say:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Ownership has plenty to say then as to how much money they want him to spend.
    What happened to "whatever teams greedy owners that have tons of money want to give them"? Why do you say they're greedy?? They'd sign them all for a buck if they could, I seriously doubt that they are greedy, and not really sure how greedy works into the content of your comment.

I think it best I no longer respond to your posts about the Red Sox. You are clearly over the moon with this team, and only see the roses, overlooking the thorns. If you can't see both sides, it is difficult to have any viable dialog.

BTW, Bloom is the President and Chief Baseball Officer, the GM is Brian O'Halloran

Enjoy the season, I'm kinda done here.

• Options

Me too!

• Options

ESPN hypothesized Judge in a Red Sox or a Mets uniform next year.

• Options

Judge is not going to leave the Yankees. There would be a revolt if management did not keep him.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2022 12:10AM

Was Arroyo at shortstop last night a "look see" for next year? They can't have too many players making $30 million a year with the money limits baseball puts on teams.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite being a Red Sox fan, I don't really have a dog in this fight. But I will say that I pretty much live under the assumption that anyone who owns a sports franchise is greedy. It's not 99 out of 100, but you get the point. Still , I don't think this means that they only factor in money when making decisions.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Red Sox follower but all I know they came here to Cleveland for the weekend series and smacked the Indians Guardians right in the mouth then left town laughing all the way.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Judge is not going to leave the Yankees. There would be a revolt if management did not keep him.

Indeed: "Aaron Judge signs $19 million deal with Yankees, avoids arbitration: Source. The New York Yankees signed outfielder Aaron Judge to a one-year, $19 million contract for the 2022 season, a source confirmed to The Athletic on Friday. This means the two sides will avoid an arbitration hearing."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

19 million is nothing to sneeze at and I am sure he will sign a multi year contract this winter for a much bigger one unless he gets hurt along the way.
    Cleveland is no pushover and the Sox go into Toronto without some of their best players as not all of them are vaccinated and can't play there.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Indeed: "Aaron Judge signs $19 million deal with Yankees, avoids arbitration: Source. The New York Yankees signed outfielder Aaron Judge to a one-year, $19 million contract for the 2022 season, a source confirmed to The Athletic on Friday. This means the two sides will avoid an arbitration hearing."

So you know that Judge was required based on service time to accept arbitration? And you know that because of the lockout a lot (all?) of the cases didn't get heard in the off season? So he was signed for this year, but neither he nor the Yankees knew for how much? So all your article says is that they reached a deal for him to play this season?

• Options

Bogaerts better watch what happened to Freddie Freeman when he opted for more money from a team he didn't want to play for to leave a team he wanted to retire from.
    Was the extra millions he got worth it?