Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Got this for $25, was it a mistake to buy?

I bought it kind of hastily since I've bought coins from him a lot, but I'm wondering if I overpaid

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2022 9:23PM

It's not German, it's a 2 Heller from Austria. Looks like it lists for less than a $1 on Numista In circulated grades

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2082.html

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

You overpaid- sorry.

For sale on eBay now...

1899 AUSTRIA 2 HELLER Coin
    Price: US $2.55

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284836146521?hash=item42518ead59:g:hAYAAOSw7iFilT44&LH_BIN=1

If you're really diligent, these show up in "4 For A Dollar" junk bins on occasion.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was a "German Empire 2 pfennig 1899", you might have had something... because Germany did not issue any 2 pfennig coins in 1899.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

What were you thinking? It is the kind of coin you find in group foreign lots that are sold by weight.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

It depends on whether you wanted this specific coin or not. If you did, you wouldn't want to buy a kilo of junk in the unlikely hope of finding one. It's also unlikely you could buy one online for $1 - Numista's prices include people who found one in a kilo of junk, so their cost is very low. Or even $2.55. The eBay seller mentioned above adds postage on top. But even then I would guess they are close to making a loss after costs (eBay fees, packaging and postage). There's no point in a dealer selling a coin for less than $5 plus postage.

• Options

Damn. Thanks guys. I'm kind of new to coin collecting and this is the first mess up I've had so far. I bought this from a friend, so I didn't do enough research, and I don't think he was being malicious, he inherited a bunch of coins and this one was improperly labeled I guess. It has been a learning experience. At least it was only $25 that I lost.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

I would question the friendship of anyone who sells you a 25 cent coin for $25. I'd also take a look at what else you've bought, and take a break from buying anything else unless you learn what you[re getting.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭

We have all paid a similar tuition. Learn from it and move on. Also, the old adage comes to mind: buy the book before the coin. Good luck on future purchases.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay