Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Insurance Claims: Did you ever have to pursue a claim with USPS on a PSA Submission?

Did you ever make a PSA submission where the item was either damaged, or failed to be delivered in which you pursued a claim? If so, what was your overall experience dealing with USPS?

Did you send it "Registered Mail" insured?

Was Customer Service helpful?

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you are paying PSA direct for shipping back I would sure hope they handle the resolution through their CS department leveraging the significant scale they have with the carriers.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 401 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2022 3:28PM

I have had USPS damage a couple things. Last time offered me half the declared value. I didn't put much effort in to it.
    I think if you're sending something that you don't have a receipt for it would be more difficult.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Since you are paying PSA direct for shipping back I would sure hope they handle the resolution through their CS department leveraging the significant scale they have with the carriers.

I'm going to assume the OP is talking about shipping TO PSA, not From PSA

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 12:07PM

The insurance exists to basically make you "feel safe"... Good luck on any safety coming to fruition, however, as it is pretty difficult to get them to settle for an amount anyone in the hobby would agree you are actually due.

Imagine negotiating with someone with zero knowledge of the industry on an assumed value of a card that is damaged before grading; it seems like an impossible battle to win.

• Options
    CardwaxCardwax Posts: 1
    edited June 24, 2022 1:50PM

I haven’t had to file one related directly to PSA however I had to file when Covid first hit and the mail was running about a month or more behind. Sold an AD Stained Glass PSA 10 and it was “lost” in the mail. So I file for missing mail search via usps and they tell me to “wait longer” before I file the claim that it will likely be found. This was after I already waited 3 weeks because the seller and I both knew the mail was so behind . So I waited the extra week and it never moved , and when I filed they told me “you have exceeded your 30 day limit to file ” and could no longer file. Of course I appealed stating that I had been told to wait. In the end the $400 card (value at the time) was gone, I reimbursed the seller and I was out the money and the card. $400 is a lot of money but just think if it had been more. One day usps really needs to be held accountable for its BS.
    Moral of the story if a week passes and your package hasn’t moved, file for a mail search ASAP. The faster the better. I know my post doesn’t have much to do with the OP’s situation but it’s something people need to be aware of. I
    Should’ve read the print that said you have to file in 30 days but there was so much confusion and so many late packages and I was told by usps to wait. Shocking huh?

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

@Cardwax

"Lost mail" waiting period is 15 days from shipping and claim needs to be filed before 60 days. USPS will not pay more than what the items are insured for and will require a ton of "proof" of lost value to substantiate a claim.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

USPS

You will get a very good lesson of peeing into the wind.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another advantage of a collectible insurance plan is not dealing with USPS insurance to cover your items in transit. Signature confirmation is all you need for up to $2500 (Priority) or 60K (Express) in coverage with Collectible Insurance Services (CIS).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the OP's package turns up or the matter is resolved at least to his satisfaction.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Cardwax: Shocking is right! There's something so upsetting about doing things as told, only to have expectations dashed like that.

Yes, my interest is in determining the value of Registered Mail and its insurance expense sending cards to PSA.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!