Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

English Hammered Mint ID

thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this would be the best place to ask the question. Can anyone help direct me to where I could go to identify where a William I penny I just acquired was minted? Characters are tough and there were something like 65 mints for him. Coin grades NGC MS62.

thefinn

Comments

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2022 10:35AM

This is the Paxs type, William I type 8 (1083-6). Unfortunately, that doesn't help narrow the mints, but not all moneyers struck this type. The moneyer seems to be Aegelwine. Moneyers by that name were at Hereford, Ilchester, Ipswich, Leicester, London, Oxford and Wallingford. But the Aegelwines at Ilchester, Leicester, London and Oxford didn't strike Type 8.

So it has to be Hereford, Ipswich or Wallingford.

The legends for each would be:
    Hereford AEGLPINE ON HRF
    Ipswich AEGLPINE or IEGLPINE? ON GIPS
    Wallingford IEGLPINE ON PIIL

Of these, the quarters on this coin seem to say: IEGL/PINE /ON /PIIL

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. VERY helpful!

thefinn

@JohnConduitt said:
    This is the Paxs type, William I type 8 (1083-6). Unfortunately, that doesn't help narrow the mints, but not all moneyers struck this type. The moneyer seems to be Aegelwine. Moneyers by that name were at Hereford, Ilchester, Ipswich, Leicester, London, Oxford and Wallingford. But the Aegelwines at Ilchester, Leicester, London and Oxford didn't strike Type 8.

So it has to be Hereford, Ipswich or Wallingford.

The legends for each would be:
    Hereford AEGLPINE ON HRF
    Ipswich AEGLPINE or IEGLPINE? ON GIPS
    Wallingford IEGLPINE ON PIIL

Of these, the quarters on this coin seem to say: IEGL/PINE /ON /PIIL

Looks like Winchester might be an option too. PIN

thefinn

NGC MS62, SN 2878260-001.

thefinn
  • John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 3:31PM

Possibly, but there would have to be an Aegelwine at Winchester, which there doesn't seem to be. Although see https://archive.org/stream/newnumismatic11royauoft/newnumismatic11royauoft_djvu.txt

I can see how the mint name might end in N, but if so, it would seem to have more letters than PIN. Alternatively, it's PIIL with something after the L http://www.yorkcoins.com/images/H1051 X2.jpg

On page 65 of https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital BNJ/pdfs/2012_BNJ_82_5.pdf it shows that for the Type 8 penny of William I that there were 8 coiners in Winchester, and 2 coiners in Wallingford.

I'm new to this but trying to learn. What am I missing?

thefinn

Looking on www.britnumsoc.org publications I listed above I found Aegelwine, and he only coined in Wallingford. The name I saw that was similar was Aelfwine, who struck in Winchester and Wilton, which is similar, but missing the G.

Thanks to all of those that shared their knowledge with me. I really appreciate your experience and willingness to share it. This is truly a skill that takes time and patience to master.

thefinn