Home Sports Talk

upgrading from a 55" Vizio, comments welcomed

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, after several years, I'm thinking it's time to move up a bit. 65" is my upper limit, and 4k is a waste of money given the amount of programming available, and not much on the horizon.

So, I'm thinking a Samsung 65", but not too clear on the different levels of "bells and whistles". I just want a clear, crispy pic that we can enjoy. So, if you're a "tekkie type", or if you've upgraded recently, I'd appreciated your comments. Tks.

Have to tell you, my neighbor has a MORE THAN eleven feet wide projector type tv. Pic is crazy good. His speakers make the floor shake, the thing is truly awzzzzzzzuuuum. It is a thing to behold, pro football is and college ball as well is just mesmerizing to watch. Of course he has those theatre like seating for 4, they recline and make you feel like you've just been transported to tv viewing nirvana. He likes to joke and say "some people do cocaine, I do tvs". He has over $100k in his setup, which encompasses a large walk up loft area that includes a small bedroom. Between the sound proofing and black out material, its something to behold.

Comments

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

We stayed at a hotel in Hot Springs and were blown away by the TV. The manager was a tekkie and explained every detail. The TV was a 55” LG HD OLED. We immediately purchased one and we are still blown away by the quality and laugh that we didn’t do it soon. Pricy? Yes. But if you watch TV a lot it’s well worth it.

Don’t want to lay out $1500-2000? and still want a very nice quality. In all our other rooms
    Insignia 58” LED HD 4K Smart TV. $400 at Best Buy. Absolutely sharp and affordable

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Al I know nothing about TV’s I always go to Best Buy and they tell me exactly what I need to know for what I want for my needs

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recommend reading the site www.slickdeals.net for a week or two. You'll see tons of great deals on TVs and every posting always has lots of commentary about the quality of various sets.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it sounds like you have decided on the size you want to purchase. Just get a good estimate of how far your chairs will be from the TV. Then go to the stores and view the various TVs from that distance.

Since I cut the cord and last year (saved $200 a month), I needed smart TVs and went with a 58 inch Vizio upstairs and a 70 inch Vizio in the man cave. Both are great Tvs and were in the $650 range. It came down to the cost versus a better picture and paying $1,000 more for a tv.

We were on a golf trip to Mississippi the weekend of the PGA championship and the hotel room had an LG tv that had an awesome picture. cannot recall the exact specs of the tv.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tks for the responses. I'm limited by where I can mount the tv, thus the 65" max.
    I'd like to keep my cost under $1k, but I'm fortunate in that price is not a driving factor. I have a SONOS sound bar, haven't pulled the pin for the subwoofer, but I think that's really the ideal option, especially for action and sports.

I see that most have the 4k built in, unfortunately there is very limited programming, and 3D is non existent, although cool to watch in the movie theater when I was a kid. So, I'll do some research and see what I come up with. Don't need to get permission from the Commander, but will include her in the final selection.

I'm pretty free to do as I wish, but the Commander is adamant about me not getting an earlier model corvette. I always hear "you've already had two, why do you want another?". She doesn't get it. I do drool when I watch Mecum and see those sweet machines get hammered for under $30k.