Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need help with the value of these 1965 Soccer rookie cards.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking of trading these for a Van Basten rookie, but have no idea of value.

These are in the Ex-Mt to NM range. Centering is off the charts for both.

The highest graded Sepp Maier rookie is a PSA 4. How do you value a card that has little price history like the Maier ? This card would be the highest graded ever. I’m clueless.

How about the Muller ? No price history. Very few in high grade ? Very clueless. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cards Goldenage! Hope all's well. Miss you on the sports forum.

Robert

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

Robert

Hey Robert. Hope all is well with you. Both my parents aren’t well now so trying to balance my time.

Mark

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Robert

Hey Robert. Hope all is well with you. Both my parents aren’t well now so trying to balance my time.

Mark

I'm sorry to hear that Mark. Prayers out to you and your family.

• Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Maier in a high grade might be a few hundred, I’d guess. Despite being an all-time great he doesn’t sell well. As for Müller, check out PWCC for some comps. Raw I’d guess $1,000 or so. I see a crease, so imagine it would top out at a 4.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2022 1:06PM

@DEFPOTEC said:
    Maier in a high grade might be a few hundred, I’d guess. Despite being an all-time great he doesn’t sell well. As for Müller, check out PWCC for some comps. Raw I’d guess $1,000 or so. I see a crease, so imagine it would top out at a 4.

Thank you for the Maier info.

It looks like a crease but it is a sealing line when they sealed the front of the cards. A card expert informed me of it and other 1965 Bergman’s have it. PSA ignores this on a Shaquille ONeill card that they’ve given 9s and 10s on.

I would expect a PSA 6-7 on this card based on the Shaq card having the same thing, but you never can tell.
    Thanks.

Surprised the Maier would be so low. Guess he’s not a goal scorer.

• Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

It’s frustrating but, yeah, goalies get no love. In the vintage space Yashin’s gotten some run but that’s really it.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2022 1:23PM

I think the Maier would be more than a few hundred if it graded very well. I would not sell those raw.

• Options

@DEFPOTEC said:
    It’s frustrating but, yeah, goalies get no love. In the vintage space Yashin’s gotten some run but that’s really it.

It's true. Yashin is in a league of his own. The next tier down is basically a group of Zamora, Gordon Banks, Gilmar, Sepp Maier, Iker C., G.Buf., Oliver K. and J.Campos.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@DEFPOTEC said:

It's true. Yashin is in a league of his own. The next tier down is basically a group of Zamora, Gordon Banks, Gilmar, Sepp Maier, Iker C., G.Buf., Oliver K. and J.Campos.

Dino Zoff would also be in that tier

• Options

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:

@miwlvrn said:

@DEFPOTEC said:

Agree.

Has everyone seen Arie Hahn’s goal against Zoff and Italy in 1978 ?

Greatest goal I ever saw. Incredible

Is Manuel Neuer in that tier yet ?

• Options

Outside of Marco Van Basten against Russia

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:

@miwlvrn said:

@DEFPOTEC said:

Agree.

Has everyone seen Arie Hahn’s goal against Zoff and Italy in 1978 ?

Greatest goal I ever saw. Incredible

Is Manuel Neuer in that tier yet ?

I think my list off the top of my head there was goalies relative to not only skill but also popularity of collecting within the hobby. Not sure Neuer would be among those others IMO.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

1965 Bergmann cards are not short on supply, but there is some demand for well-centered copies. Sepp looks to be mid to high grade, which should fetch a couple hundred. Gerd would not grade well - sorry not sure where your info about those lines is coming from. But even a well centered copy w/ surface issues in low/mid grade could get upwards of $500 on the right day.

If you can trade these for a never-stuck Van Basten rookie sticker (82-83 Panini Voetbal), you're getting WAY the better end of the deal. That sticker is highly coveted and in short supply.

• Options

@thehallmark said:
    1965 Bergmann cards are not short on supply, but there is some demand for well-centered copies. Sepp looks to be mid to high grade, which should fetch a couple hundred. Gerd would not grade well - sorry not sure where your info about those lines is coming from. But even a well centered copy w/ surface issues in low/mid grade could get upwards of $500 on the right day.

If you can trade these for a never-stuck Van Basten rookie sticker (82-83 Panini Voetbal), you're getting WAY the better end of the deal. That sticker is highly coveted and in short supply.

Have you checked the pop reports on 65 Bergman to 83 voetbal

The #1 expert in the hobby gave me the low down on the Gerd Muller.

The cardboard is perfect. No separation or deviations in its consistency.

It’s a line from the sealer they use on the surface to coat the card.

• Options
    edited June 21, 2022 11:46AM

4 Maiers graded
    41 Mullers graded
    23 Van Bastens I believe

All are not easy to get

For club and country Van Basten is no Gerd Muller.

• Options

@thehallmark said:

This would be a shockingly one-sided deal if all 3 were raw when traded. Regardless of player stats and awards, the Van Basten card unstuck w/ clean back carriers a clearly higher value, no matter what the pop report says. If you believe otherwise, then send the Bergmann cards in for grading and see what you get. Sure, a really high grade Muller changes the equation, but you'd need to prove that that is what you have by getting it into a slab.

• Options

Yep - what he said.

• Options

All that said, those are nice looking Bergmann RC's and they deserve to be graded.

• Options

To the soccer collectors here, I'm trying to figure out which Roberto Baggio rookie is the most coveted.....The Panini Calciatori, Calcio Flash or the Calciatori Edis Baggio(Monelli error)? I have the Baggio Edis as a PSA 4 there doesn't seem to be many graded in the PSA pop report.

• Options

All of the ones you listed are desired, but none particularly rare. Baggio is one of the premodern hobby darlings. Higher grade examples will get you upwards of $1000, low mid will be in the hundreds and action will be wildly variable by condition.

The best Baggio rookie materials by far is the Forza! Very rarely comes to market, and the whale collectors are all ready to pounce when it does.

Here's the most recent one I can find: https://sales-history.pwccmarketplace.com/items/WEEKLY3174907

• Options

@thehallmark said:
    All of the ones you listed are desired, but none particularly rare. Baggio is one of the premodern hobby darlings. Higher grade examples will get you upwards of $1000, low mid will be in the hundreds and action will be wildly variable by condition.

The best Baggio rookie materials by far is the Forza! Very rarely comes to market, and the whale collectors are all ready to pounce when it does.

Here's the most recent one I can find: https://sales-history.pwccmarketplace.com/items/WEEKLY3174907

That’s really good info! I’ve never seen that Baggio nor have I heard of it’s existence. I only knew of the three mentioned.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2022 12:24PM

For club and country Van Basten is no Gerd Muller. > @miwlvrn said:

@thehallmark said:

This would be a shockingly one-sided deal if all 3 were raw when traded. Regardless of player stats and awards, the Van Basten card unstuck w/ clean back carriers a clearly higher value, no matter what the pop report says. If you believe otherwise, then send the Bergmann cards in for grading and see what you get. Sure, a really high grade Muller changes the equation, but you'd need to prove that that is what you have by getting it into a slab.

Thanks. When a Bayern fan doesn’t have a mid grade Muller with 60/40 centered, anything can happen.

If anyone had mid grade dead centered Mullers for under 1k, pm me. I’ll buy all you have. Thanks
    PSA realized sales only shows PSA 2s and 4s that are dead centered. A PSA 8 that sold is like mine. That one is a beauty.

Appreciate everyone’s input.