Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New here…skulls, devils, and other taboo tokens!

Hi everyone! My name is Collin, I own Brazos Gold Works maybe you have seen me on Instagram or Facebook, maybe not! I have been buying and selling coins for about 15 years.

I have always been very into US coins for myself, particularly high grade Type! Recently, however, I have found myself becoming enthralled in tokens, particularly old European tokens with scenes of taboo or Macabre imagery. Most notable, the five Liege Skull tokens, the French Voisin Magic tokens, and other similar pieces.

My question, does anyone have any good books of reference for these old Jetons and medals? I’m new in the field of European/tokens/non US so I do not have a ton of knowledge of what books or references are the go to’s! If you know, let me know, and if you have any tokens or Jetons that fit this style, let me know!

I appreciate the info in advance and look forward to interacting in the forum!

Collin Kubacak
Professional Numismatist & Jeweler

Comments

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

It's one of the areas that I specialize in, though there are really no good references that cover the area well. I would like to put together something down the road, but am continuing to discover more types that fit into what could be best described as the "macabre" or "spooky" realm in coins, medals, and tokens. The "Renesse" that's generally cited on holders is in reference to the Count de Renesse-Breidbach's book on Liège coins, token, and medals. The skull types from Liège are covered on plates 71 and 72, so some of the citations like "Renesse 72," or something similar, aren't really accurate. It should be rendered something like Renesse pl. 72, 6 (for the last type in the series). They can be found here (plates 71 and 72 are on pages 391 and 394):

https://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/de/view/bsb10742203?page=391

There are a few other areas with imagery like this from that time period, and slightly thereafter, as well as some macabre stuff well into the 20th century. If you want to check out what I have had in the past that covers the area, you can scroll through the results here:

https://www.numismagram.com/skulls-sold

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options

Hey Jeremy,

Thank you for the info. I found many types on your website that I would like to have one day. I did find the digital copy of the 1830 Version of that Renesse book. I wished it had a little more info about the coins themselves, but at least it does have an accounting of what coins were made as a sort of list of the types.

I also found you on instagram. Ill give you a follow and send a message! Its nice to meet you!

Collin Kubacak
    Professional Numismatist & Jeweler