Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Mexico Got This One Right

pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t collect non-U.S. coins because I don’t need another distraction but this design is very appealing in my opinion so I splurged and got two Libertads. In hand the silver being my favorite of the two. I really like the finish of the fields in the silver coin.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

I tried to repatriate an 8 Reales coin with the Mexican government but they never got back with me after showing some initial interest. I just wanted to give it back and share what I had found. That's typical. Most government wants things far more turnkey. Government is so huge and immovable you can't expect anything from them except barriers and regulations. Taxes.
    One day I'll figure out a way to symbolically show my respect for the sources of the historical coins of Iberia and the Americas.
    Outside of buying such coins myself that is. Which if that's the only results of my efforts, I'll still call that a win.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the finish, but I feel like I'm the only one who seems to favor the 1st generation Libertads rather than the 2nd.
    I just feel like Winged Victoria is off kilter in the newer iteration.

I own no second generation Libertads. But I own dozens of the first.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Love the finish, but I feel like I'm the only one who seems to favor the 1st generation Libertads rather than the 2nd.

You aren't the only one who likes first gen. I like the obverse and reverse better. I also like the smaller diameter with the higher thickness. It gives a nice heft to it that makes it stand out from ASEs and Maple Leaves.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2022 10:43PM

@Weiss said:

I own no second generation Libertads. But I own dozens of the first.

Same. To be specific, I like the 1921 2 Pesos design by Emilio del Moral. One day I'll own a nice 83DCAM Onza like the one you posted, as well.