Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin? Medal? Something Arabic

Hello everyone,

maybe someone can help me to find some information about my coin-medal-thingy.
Somebody once told me it could be some kind of a medallion for praying - but I don't remember fully.

Thanks a lot

Best Answer

Answers

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics. I'm pretty sure it's not a coin based on a scan thru the coinoscope app. There are other members who shall unlock the meaning. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• @Namvet69 said:
    Nice pics. I'm pretty sure it's not a coin based on a scan thru the coinoscope app. There are other members who shall unlock the meaning. Good luck. Peace Roy

Thanks, surprisingly my shitty Samsung phone camera worked.
    Thanks for the scan and your help!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

My pleasure and welcome.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• @WillieBoyd2 said:
    It's an Indian Moslem temple token.

Here's a similar one on the Numista website:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia76776.html

:)

Thank you very much, you just solved the mystery :smiley:

• GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 10:25PM

My Google said.
    " One of the oldest Islamic currency of Al Madina Munawara on this world. This coin is very precious especially for Muslims and it is very rare in this world. This coin is more than 1400 year old and this coin was used for the trade and buying or selling of products during time of Sahaba Karam..This unique coin of Madina was used in the Khalafat of Hazarat Abu Bakar saddique. Kalma Mubrik is written clearly on one side of coin along with names of Khulafa-e- Rashideen in Arabic language. "
    The same Google lens that missed huge earlier.

• @GulfRasta said:
    My Google said.
    " One of the oldest Islamic currency of Al Madina Munawara on this world. This coin is very precious especially for Muslims and it is very rare in this world. This coin is more than 1400 year old and this coin was used for the trade and buying or selling of products during time of Sahaba Karam..This unique coin of Madina was used in the Khalafat of Hazarat Abu Bakar saddique. Kalma Mubrik is written clearly on one side of coin along with names of Khulafa-e- Rashideen in Arabic language. "

But if I google "Islamic Temple Token" there are a lot of pics from similar coins and according to the link from Willieboyd the coin shoud be from around 1850-1940... So what is the truth now :D

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    My Google said.

Well, given that the coin clearly depicts the Mosque of the Prophet in Medina, and the prominent Green Dome in the centre of the coin was not built until AD 1279 (Year 618 in the Islamic calendar), and also given that the Naskh script used to write the Arabic on this coin did not become commonly used until the AD 1100s (early Islamic coins all used the Kufic script), any claims that the coin is 1400 years old (dating from the first century of the Islamic calendar, or the AD 600s) are provably false.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)