Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New here, have a PSA grading question.

Hello, first time posting here. I collected cards in the 80's/90's, but never had the need to get them graded. Never had anything worth selling. But, I just decided to go through my old cards at my Dad's house that I haven't opened in 15-20 years.

So hopefully this is allowed to ask, but low and behold, I found a stack of SP cards, and one is a Derek Jeter. In my eye its flawless, not a mark front or back, and the foil is 100% still intact. I've heard that the biggest issue with those cards are the foil chipping away.

So my question is, should I grade it? Even a PSA 9 is good money at auction, a 10 is crazy. I wouldn't even know where to begin, how to submit it, insure it, etc. Anyway, looking for advice. Oh, and side note, I'm a Sox fan, so have zero hesitation about parting with the card......LOL.

Thanks. Cool forums.

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

1.) Post a picture of the front and back.

2.) Go here to learn: https://www.psacard.com/resources/faq

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Yes , get it graded . Go to PSA website.

• Options

Thanks. Do you need to be a member or have an account, or can you just submit single cards?

Trying to upload a photo but its only asking for a url, not allowing an upload off my phone.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

You just need to become a member maybe at the lowest cost possible. Follow the guidelines in packaging up your cards .. very very important to do!!!
    very important..... Fill out the sheet on this site after becoming a member. It's going to ask you what year of card, player, etc. Make SURE everything from details to payment and return shipping is correct!!!!
    ...... Then (inside joke) wait until gray hair is forming on your head , refreshing with 2 fingers everyday until you think you might be going crazy.
    Watch more PSA videos after shipping to believe in yourself and judgment of your actions. ....
    But seriously.... Just watch some videos to help you get through and select the level of service you need. That type of card will command a premium time.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@Vermonster said:
    Thanks. Do you need to be a member or have an account, or can you just submit single cards?

Trying to upload a photo but its only asking for a url, not allowing an upload off my phone.

When you click the picture icon, click “choose files” and you can take a new pic or select one from your phone pictures.

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:

@Vermonster said:

When you click the picture icon, click “choose files” and you can take a new pic or select one from your phone pictures.

Ok, I'm not seeing that option. I'll try on a desktop instead of my phone.

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:
    You just need to become a member maybe at the lowest cost possible.

However, you need to submit 20 cards at one time to get the lowest possible price, oh, and they have to be 1996 or newer. So for the Jeter you will be paying $50 or more and you do NOT need to become a member. If it grades an 9 or 10, PSA will send you an email to pay more!

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@Historicalwood71 said:
    You just need to become a member maybe at the lowest cost possible.

However, you need to submit 20 cards at one time to get the lowest possible price, oh, and they have to be 1996 or newer. So for the Jeter you will be paying $50 or more and you do NOT need to become a member. If it grades an 9 or 10, PSA will send you an email to pay more!

So its base on value of the card?

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@Vermonster said:

@burghman said:

@Vermonster said:

Sometimes newly registered members have a waiting period before they can upload pics - that might be what’s going on, so it might now work from your desktop either.

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:

@Vermonster said:

@burghman said:

@Vermonster said:

Sometimes newly registered members have a waiting period before they can upload pics - that might be what’s going on, so it might now work from your desktop either.

Ok, thanks. Ill just wait if it doesn't work.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 7:34PM

@Vermonster said:
    Hello, first time posting here. I collected cards in the 80's/90's, but never had the need to get them graded. Never had anything worth selling. But, I just decided to go through my old cards at my Dad's house that I haven't opened in 15-20 years.

So hopefully this is allowed to ask, but low and behold, I found a stack of SP cards, and one is a Derek Jeter. In my eye its flawless, not a mark front or back, and the foil is 100% still intact. I've heard that the biggest issue with those cards are the foil chipping away.

Foil chipping is big issue, but in my experience light scratches on the foil are the biggest. It's one of the cards PSA scrutinizes the most. If you do submit IMHO figure the value at most as PSA8 and if you receive an up-charge then do a happy dance.

P.S. Never, ever, never, ever never figure a PSA10 on a 93 SP Jeter Foil. Given the current scrutiny as you a small entity submitting merely 1 of the card you honestly have better chances of winning the power ball.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@Vermonster said:

Foil chipping is big issue, but in my experience light scratches on the foil are the biggest. It's one of the cards PSA scrutinizes the most. If you do submit IMHO figure the value at most as PSA8 and if you receive an up-charge then do a happy dance.

P.S. Never, ever, never, ever never figure a PSA10 on a 93 SP Jeter Foil. Given the current scrutiny as you a small entity submitting merely 1 of the card you honestly have better chances of winning the power ball.

Thats what I am telling myself, be happy/expect an 8.

• Options

@burghman said:

@Vermonster said:

@burghman said:

@Vermonster said:

Must be a be a new member thing because I am now on a desktop instead of the phone and the only option I have under the image icon is to copy an image URL...... Hmmmmmm.......

Side note, finding some good Shaquille, Ken Griffey jr., Rickey Henderson, etc. rookie cards. This is kinda fun...... LOL

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure if you're submitting at Regular ($100) or higher you don't need to have a Collectors Club Membership. I think the 1993 SP Jeter qualifies for the "or higher" part.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@Vermonster said:

@burghman said:

@Vermonster said:

@burghman said:

@Vermonster said:

Must be a be a new member thing because I am now on a desktop instead of the phone and the only option I have under the image icon is to copy an image URL...... Hmmmmmm.......

Side note, finding some good Shaquille, Ken Griffey jr., Rickey Henderson, etc. rookie cards. This is kinda fun...... LOL

You can use a photo upload website to share the links with us here to see it instead. https://postimages.org/

For Jeter's RC, I wouldn't put it past PSA to initially give you a minsizerq if it truly is in mint condition. That is usually their move if they think its too good to be true and if it wasn't submitted by someone sending them gobs of money every month. I've had them do it numerous times only to holder later. Consider that a test of your will. xD

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vermonster said:

I agree, really tough card! You might as well try to get an 86 Topps Football Jerry Rice graded next. Either way I hope you hit a PSA 9!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I'm thinking he has a 10. For someone who doesn't grade..... It's usually the best kept secret

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:
    I'm thinking he has a 10. For someone who doesn't grade..... It's usually the best kept secret

Lol...... I can only dream. But I looked, says I'd have to pay 10 grand for that...... Stand by.....

• Options
    VermonsterVermonster Posts: 23
    edited June 16, 2022 5:01PM

Ok, uploaded the photos to that photo site, and can't get the url to work properly.. .... Ugh

• Options
    edited June 16, 2022 5:34PM
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

That's beautiful... when you submit it, make sure you use a "Card Saver I" like PSA asks for. Good luck!

• Options

@jeffcbay said:
    That's beautiful... when you submit it, make sure you use a "Card Saver I" like PSA asks for. Good luck!

So worth grading? And I'll read up on the PSA site before I do. Thx.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2022 8:52PM

That card is a 8 !!!! A little fuzz top left. Not bad and STILL sharp! I say do it!!!! Best case scenario.... A 9! Surface is beautiful!!!!!!!!

• Options

@Vermonster said:

@jeffcbay said:

So worth grading? And I'll read up on the PSA site before I do. Thx.

If it was pre 2021 based on the pics I'd say you are looking at an 8. A strong 8 but still an 8. Thing is though for a small submitting entity in 2022, 6 seems to be the new 8 on scrutinized cards :(

IMHO submit it as 7 in value and as mentioned earlier do the Happy dance if you are up-charged

Thanks. Anything lower than an 8 I dont think I'd bother getting it graded, but if It's at least that, I'll do it.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2022 3:18AM

@Historicalwood71 said:
    That card is a 8 !!!! A little fuzz top left. Not bad and STILL sharp! I say do it!!!! Best case scenario.... A 9! Surface is beautiful!!!!!!!!

Thanks......Also, I looked, that top left if a teeny glare I think, corner looks really sharp. But we will see.....

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Historicalwood71 said:

IMHO

In 2022 with that "weak" bottom left front corner a 9 is almost certainly out as a possibility. No 4 Sharp Corners no 9 or above on scrutinized cards.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

Just send it in for $50.... so after shipping, as long as you get a 7, you'll still make $50+

• Options
    edited June 17, 2022 2:18PM

@Historicalwood71 said:

IMHO

In 2022 with that "weak" bottom left front corner a 9 is almost certainly out as a possibility. No 4 Sharp Corners no 9 or above on scrutinized cards.

I could see it ..... But I have seen a 9 with that. You're probably right however . But honestly.... I think if the surface is beautiful with a minor flaw on ONE corner.... It has a shot at a 9. Simply because of the card itself and era of foil cards.

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Best of luck. Did you say you have a Henderson rookie? Shaq rookie? If you have other cards that look like potential 200 300 dollar cards or better maybe it makes sense ro include them all together. Would be interested in seeing those pics as well.

To be honest, just seeing that unprotected card in your hand makes me nervous. I would be concerned one of your fingers could knock a half grade or full grade off of it. I would handle anything you have ridiculously delicately as if it were something that could blow up if there were any sudden or rough movements. I would get penny sleeves ASAP and use a knife to slit one of the edges to make sure it doesn't get dinged going into sleeve. Then get the card in sleeve in a semi-rigid, Card Saver Ultra Pro whathaveyou. I just wouldn't want any potentially very valuable cards exposed and handled. Or sitting in a box that could shift and get the card banged up. I think you want to protect anything good as soon as possible.

• Options

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:
    Best of luck. Did you say you have a Henderson rookie? Shaq rookie? If you have other cards that look like potential 200 300 dollar cards or better maybe it makes sense ro include them all together. Would be interested in seeing those pics as well.

To be honest, just seeing that unprotected card in your hand makes me nervous. I would be concerned one of your fingers could knock a half grade or full grade off of it. I would handle anything you have ridiculously delicately as if it were something that could blow up if there were any sudden or rough movements. I would get penny sleeves ASAP and use a knife to slit one of the edges to make sure it doesn't get dinged going into sleeve. Then get the card in sleeve in a semi-rigid, Card Saver Ultra Pro

Thanks. If you look at the backside photo, its actually now in a plastic sleeve inside a rigid top loader. Should be good.

As for other cards, I found another one that I already had in a sleeve, a Chipper Jones. Looks as good if not better than the Jeter. I will take some photos when I get back later tonight. Also have a KG Jr. Upper Deck rookie. Thought I had 2, but can't find the other one yet. Might have a bin or 2 left of cards to go through though.....lol