Home Sports Talk
Options

Little Caesars becomes official pizza sponsor of the NFL

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pizza Hut is no longer the official pizza sponsor of the NFL, that title now belongs to Little Caesars, the third largest pizza chain in the world.

As Pizza Hut Leaves the NFL, Little Caesars Is Suiting Up
It's now the sport's official slice—but can pro football deliver for the QSR?

Little Caesars is the NFL's new official pizza sponsor after the league's four-year run with Pizza Hut.

Food delivery has become one of the rituals for Super Bowl viewers with 59% of U.S. households likely to order food during the Big Game, according to virtual restaurant solution Nextbite. And pizza is king of the food categories as the most ordered cuisine (93%).

Looking to take more slices out of the American pie market, Little Caesars and the NFL are entering a multi-year sponsorship agreement that names the QSR as the official pizza sponsor of the National Football League.

The agreement includes exclusive marketing rights designed to connect the brand with the NFL, its events and fans. This will also include “components like social media games, new products, new packaging and unique promotions,” according to Little Caesars. The full features of the deal will be revealed before the start of the 2022 season and roll out over the course of the sponsorship.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Little Caesars to the NFL family,” Renie Anderson, chief revenue officer and evp of NFL Partnerships, said in a statement.

The NFL had a deal with Pizza Hut that started in February 2018. Prior to Pizza Hut, Papa John’s was the official pizza sponsor from 2010-2018.

Pizza brings in the dough
As a privately held company, Detroit-based Little Caesars didn’t reveal its sales data. Still, the QSR claims to be the third largest pizza chain in the world. That claim is borne out by Technomic estimates, which found Little Caesars racked up about $4.2 billion in sales in 2021, a figure that placed it third in pizza chain sales behind Domino’s and Pizza Hut.

“This partnership aims to enhance the fun of game day by bringing the quality and convenience Little Caesars is known for to NFL fans across the country,” said Dave Scrivano, president and CEO of Little Caesars. “And because we’re the value leader in the pizza industry, hungry fans can enjoy weekly gametime meals at a very affordable price during a time when food prices are on the rise.”

Little Caesars’ coin toss
Despite its troubles—from player protests to concussions—the NFL still brings massively positive attention to brand sponsors. And the game’s reach and relevance are beyond question: The 2021 NFL regular season saw an average audience of 17.1 million, a 10% increase YoY and the highest full-season average since 2015, according to NBC.

NBCUniversal averaged 112.3 million viewers across its platforms during the Super Bowl, up 16%. For Pizza Hut, the added reach didn’t necessarily result in a massive rise in sales. The company saw an increase when it became an NFL sponsor, but sales have slowed down as of late.

In its most recent quarterly report, the brand’s parent company Yum reported a 6% same-store sales decline, which it attributed mainly to a shortage of delivery drivers. The news ended a seven-quarter sales growth streak for the restaurant chain.

The news for Little Caesars comes after CMO Jeff Klein departed the brand for the same role at Popeyes earlier this month.

Little Caesars has played in the sports marketing arena before. It has the naming rights of the downtown Detroit arena where the Pistons and Red Wings play. The Ilitch family owns both Little Caesars and the Red Wings. Little Caesars was also named the official pizza delivery partner of the NHL in 2020 in a deal that has since expired.

Comments

• Options

Here is the official statement from the league.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2022 9:44AM

This comes as shocking news to me, I thought no one out-pizza's the hut.

• Options

For those of you who aren't familiar with Little Caesars, they are famous for their "Hot-N-Ready" pizza. It used to be very affordable, but inflation has driven prices up a bit.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully (well I really don't care) they won't get themselves cancelled like Papa John's did.

• Options

I don't like their pizza. I haven't had it in a long time. Last time, maybe 5 or 10 years ago, I didn't like it. Back in the early 90s , I remember having it and liking it. But I was probably just really hungry.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I don't like their pizza. I haven't had it in a long time. Last time, maybe 5 or 10 years ago, I didn't like it. Back in the early 90s , I remember having it and liking it. But I was probably just really hungry.

I'm a Papa John's guy, I'm addicted to their pizza, especially the garlic dipping sauce!

• Options

I hate the garlic dipping sauce. I'm busy right now, but remind me later to tell you my story about it. 🤮

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I hate the garlic dipping sauce. I'm busy right now, but remind me later to tell you my story about it. 🤮

No, if it's a gross story don't tell me, you'll ruin my love for it!

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't ever read the ingredients list on ANY 'dipping' sauce.

The true test of a pizza is when you find those two extra pieces in the box the next morning and microwave them. Good pizza will taste good the next day.

Have a nice day
  • Options

I actually like Little Caesars, I've had it many times, there's a Little Caesars right down the street from where I live, it's very affordable and tasty. I've always had a soft spot for them because they give a lot of pizza to homeless people at no charge.

• Options

I remember that time some Louisville fans ran into Papa John, he was wasted!

• Options

Of course, I'm appreciative that I can afford my own pizza these days, back in the years right after high school, I was so dirt poor I had to improvise.

• Options

@streeter said:

The true test of a pizza is when you find those two extra pieces in the box the next morning and microwave them. Good pizza will taste good the next day.

I'll go a step further. Can you eat them the next morning cold and still possibly enjoy it.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@streeter said:

I'll go a step further. Can you eat them the next morning cold and still possibly enjoy it.

I will say this about pizza dip, I can't stand it when someone dips their pizza, takes a bite, and then dips again.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem with Pizza Hut, is I believe they use synthetic cheese. It's not stringy when hot. I've only had it a couple of times the last 2-3 yrs. I would never buy it. Pizza is not supposed to be good for you but I refuse to eat chemicals disguised as food.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I actually like Little Caesars, I've had it many times, there's a Little Caesars right down the street from where I live, it's very affordable and tasty. I've always had a soft spot for them because they give a lot of pizza to homeless people at no charge.

Honestly, that is really nice. We need more of stuff like this.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options

We have not gone back. Pizza is not that good; we'd only get it for sake of convenience (between times when kids had games or practice)

• Options

A guy found live maggots crawling on his McDonald's burger.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OpPUsb72I

• Options

I'm not lovin' it

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to make my home made mini pizzas on english muffins.

@doubledragon said:
    Of course, I'm appreciative that I can afford my own pizza these days, back in the years right after high school, I was so dirt poor I had to improvise.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
  • Options

He actually changed his mind and took you up on your advice to go to the cock fighting thread. He's over there debating if boxing should be a sport, and I am giving him some philosophical rebuttal. Please, join us, and bring extra pizza.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

He actually changed his mind and took you up on your advice to go to the cock fighting thread. He's over there debating if boxing should be a sport, and I am giving him some philosophical rebuttal. Please, join us, and bring extra pizza.

As much as I would love to join you, it is 6:30 p.m. and that is my scheduled movie time, tonight's feature presentation is about SETI. I will however send over the breadsticks, and perhaps join you guys tomorrow and we can discuss the matter further.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pizza Pizza

🍕 🍕

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am deeply offended by the mascot.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:
    I am deeply offended by the mascot.

Yes!! I’m Italian and feel disrespected!!!!

I demand a boycott until they change their logo!!!!!!!!!