Home Sports Talk
Options

Serena Williams to compete in her first tournament of the year...Wimbledon

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serena Williams will play at Wimbledon after all. The All England Club announced on Tuesday that Williams was awarded a wild-card entry for singles, marking her return to Grand Slam action after a year away.

The owner of a professional-era-record 23 Grand Slam singles trophies will tune up by playing doubles at a smaller grass-court event first, teaming with Ons Jabeur at Eastbourne, England, next week.

Main-draw play at Wimbledon begins on June 27.

Williams has not competed since getting injured during the first set of her first-round match at the All England Club in 2021.

Her name did not appear on the women's singles entry list released by the grass-court Grand Slam tournament earlier this month, but she was among a half-dozen women given a spot in the singles draw on Tuesday, along with five British players

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I could Google it , but for the sake of making conversation...
    "the professional era"...as someone who doesn't follow tennis closely I am confuse about this. Is it used interchangeably with "the open era".

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    "the professional era"...as someone who doesn't follow tennis closely I am confuse about this. Is it used interchangeably with "the open era".

I think so. But that's the first time I've seen it written in that context.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@thisistheshow said:

I think so. But that's the first time I've seen it written in that context.

Thanks for the reply. I actually looked it up, and just find "the open era" , which is of course when professionals started to play the majors/tournaments as far as I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong, but before that pros played for money, and amateurs played Wimbledon, etc.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was starting to wonder if she was unofficially retired. glad she is giving it another go

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

Yes, it's synonymous with "the open era".

• Options

@Tabe said:

@thisistheshow said:

Yes, it's synonymous with "the open era".

Thank you