Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Are there many 1/2, 1 and 2 reales collectors out there?

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 13, 2022 4:42PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Curious has there been times that they were more collected than say now? I have only been around for about 2 years so I am curious as to what the long term collectors have seen concerning these series over the decade (s)?

Do people always tend to gravitate mostly towards the 8 reales and then the 4 reales comes next? Just seems the smaller denominations get the cold shoulder.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2022 4:40PM

I mean Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, Guatemala, etc

• YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

When it comes to Latin America and especially Mexico I almost always prefer fractionals to 8 Reales. I just love to see the designs on small coins; and with 8Rs being so common/heavily collected I feel fracs don't get enough appreciation.

They usually aren't nearly as well researched or readily available as their crown sized counterparts, which makes them more challenging to collect. Many of these coins were also heavily circulated or even melted. In Mexico and much of Latin America it is a social norm to polish coins. In many cases even nice unc condition coins get cleaned.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@YoloBagels said:

In Mexico and much of Latin America it is a social norm to polish coins. In many cases even nice unc condition coins get cleaned.

Some years ago on one of my trips to a flea market in Mexico, I saw a guy that was selling coins, cleaning a bunch of 8 Reales with a rubber eraser, I asked him to why he was doing that, and the anwer was, to make the coins look good. Yikes...

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think many people collect minors per se.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:

@YoloBagels said:

In Mexico and much of Latin America it is a social norm to polish coins. In many cases even nice unc condition coins get cleaned.

Some years ago on one of my trips to a flea market in Mexico, I saw a guy that was selling coins, cleaning a bunch of 8 Reales with a rubber eraser, I asked him to why he was doing that, and the anwer was, to make the coins look good. Yikes...

Hahaha....At least it makes for very rare coins that most of us can afford. If they were all MS it would be boring for most of us that can't play at that level.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

I only have a few of these low denominations: three 1/2R and two 4R with a decent condition.

If I find a 1R and 2R that I like, will buy it.

• GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Sir. I collect all Reales and Escudos but that's not why I'm here. I'm actually on a mission from God. To spread a most important message. These coins built the USA. The smaller Reales coins are good for jewelry and the smaller Escudos are actually affordable.

Castilian real drawing.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_real

• GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

List of Spanish Mints.
    " The four early, permanent mints in the Indies were:

Mexico City (1536–1821)
    Lima (1568–1572, 1577–1588, 1659–1660, 1684–1824)
    Potosí (1574–1825)
    Santa Fe de Bogotá (1622–1820)
    Early ephemeral mints were five:

Santo Domingo (1542–1564, 1573–1578)
    La Plata (modern Sucre) (1573–1574)
    Panama City (1580–1582)
    Cartagena (1622–1655)
    Cuzco (1698)
    Later permanent mints were three:

Guatemala City (1733–1821)
    Santiago de Chile (1749–1817)
    Popayán (1758–1822)"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_of_Spanish_America

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite fractional.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.