Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

ASE Registry set Q's - Silver Eagles Complete Set with First Strikes, Circulation Strikes and Proofs

I'm slowly adding my coins into this set and was wondering why some years have an entry for a First Strike and regular holder?
But this is not a case for some years in the set...
For example, 1986 and 1987 have 2 entries for each but 1988 to 1995 do not.

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

This set composition was created back when many silver eagles did not have first strikes. The first strike label was not created or available back in the 1980's-90's and part of the 2000's.

The only way older silver eagles in those years got to be first strike is if the sealed green monster boxes of 500 of them had serial number codes or other proof that they were from the first 30 days and the entire box is sent to PCGS for grading, or if unopened other Mint boxes with silver eagles have shipping documentation that supports a first strike grade.

I believe all of the years should be added for first strike in that specialty set and you should call PCGS and ask them to update the set composition to include any missing first strike dates. Or send them an email to setregistry@pcgs.com
    Paulina or someone else will look into updating this for you, but it could take some time as they are very busy.

• Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I’ll hit them up! Thank you.

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 4:56AM

@Goldminers
    @Samets

From what I can tell of the Composite - it is correct

The very first **First Strike **Labels were on 2005 coins

EDIT: OPPS - My Badd - there is a different set that is correct but You seem to have found one with earlier First Strikes - check out the #1 Set - he's got alot of them that were submitted after the creation of the FS designation...likely under the conditions that were mentioned above

If You come across a First Strike coin that is not designated a Slot - You can always do the New Slot Request to get it added - but if a First Strike coin has not been graded for any year they won't just "add a slot"

At least one coin must exist to create a New Slot

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options

@JonJet said:
    @Goldminers
    @Samets

From what I can tell of the Composite - it is correct

The very first **First Strike **Labels were on 2005 coins

EDIT: OPPS - My Badd - there is a different set that is correct but You seem to have found one with earlier First Strikes - check out the #1 Set - he's got alot of them that were submitted after the creation of the FS designation...likely under the conditions that were mentioned above

If You come across a First Strike coin that is not designated a Slot - You can always do the New Slot Request to get it added - but if a First Strike coin has not been graded for any year they won't just "add a slot"

At least one coin must exist to create a New Slot

I have every First Strike holdered ASE starting and including 1986 and all the way to latest coins of 2022.

I guess in my mind if all the early coins are available in FS holders, why not remove the regualr holdered coins from this set? I don't see the need to duplicate the same coin in two holders... Does that make sense?

I'll be reaching out to PCGS Registry folks to see if they can assist.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2022 7:06AM

I'd guess that whoever requested the Set to be created specified slots for regular as well as First Strike Labels - I doubt they'd change it and remove half of the Slots - but You may want to request an ASE First Strike Set or whatever suits Your fancy

• Options

@JonJet said:
    I'd guess that whoever requested the Set to be created specified slots for regular as well as First Strike Labels - I doubt they'd change it and remove half of the Slots - but You may want to request an ASE First Strike Set or whatever suits Your fancy

This is an interesting set. All circulation strikes from 1986 to present can be had in the FS holder but proof strikes can only be found in a FS holder starting in 2005. So any proof from 1986-2004 will need to be a regular label.

You're right, I doubt they will remove 1/2 the set but I can see if they will add 8 missing FS coins.

• Options

If You have any of those 8 coins...You can request a New Slot right within the Set

But they can only add a New Slot if You have a coin that deserves the slot

• Options
    edited June 15, 2022 12:31PM

Some further searching...

I'd bet the Set in position 52 was instrumental in the Set creation - it's the oldest Set I can find

Set in #6 just took the ball and ran with it a few months later - getting Top Honors in 7 different years