Home Autographs Forum
Options

Help for a person new to collecting autographs of actresses please

Hi I am brand new to collecting photograps of actresses that are autographed. Its a nightmare knowing whats legit for sale on ebay though so if i could link to a couple of different autographs (one in particular i really want) by Imogen Poots it would be appreciated with some help on whether the one i want to buy is legit or not. I have looked at a lot of her items and it seems she signs 2 completely different autographs that are not even remotely similar..........its about 50/50 on which autograph she seems to sign so i have NO idea what the story on this is or if the item id lke to buy is legit. Ive talked to the seler and it seems he is very helpful and seems legit. I wont link or post the item or the photos of her 2 completely different autographs unless anybody is willing to help. I love getting into this but its tough.
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two dealers I trust for autographs are RRAuction for high end stuff and Autograph World for more celebrity type stuff. I am thinking Autograph World might be the place to have a Imogen Poots. They do new auctions every few weeks. They are trustworthy since they get most of their autographs in person and have been trusted in the autograph business for decades. Many people that know autographs, especially the modern celebrities, usually go there.

eBay is a minefield and I once heard 90% of all autographs sold are fake. You have to pretty much be an expert to know what you are looking for, and even someone like me who has collected off and on for over two decades still makes mistakes when buying autographs on eBay. The forgers are getting so good and even the third party authenticated stuff can be fake…I have found two examples of printed/autopen signatures that got authenticated by Beckett and JSA. Doing your research is often not enough but it’s the best you can do when it comes to eBay.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just did a look on Autograph World for Imogen Poots and right now they do not have any for sale, but just last month has this one that sold for $35.

https://www.autographworld.com/auction/oldlot.asp?lid=805&aid=1926

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2022 6:36AM

Autograph world is my choice for modern but I also buy from Outlaw Hobbies, they have gained some respect in the modern autograph world.

I'm also a fan of Imogen, though I haven't bothered buying her since I focus on Old Hollywood these past few years thanks to a down market on many of them.

Here is the Imogen on their site.

https://outlaw-hobbies.com/search?q=poots

Their instagram is helpful for proof of their acquirement too.

https://www.instagram.com/outlaw_hobbies/

And if your new to collecting, there may be two different signatures, some celebrities "rush" their signatures and some take time to write their name when they're not in such a rush. It happens and is very common, especially in the last 20+ years. Very few spell their full name nicely like they did back in the day.

• Options

Mind if i post a couple of links/pics of imogen poots 2 different autographs and the item i want to buy for opinion on whether legit or not?
    Wouldnt mind post a couple of andrea riseborough either since im huge fan of her also

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flatline005 said:
    Mind if i post a couple of links/pics of imogen poots 2 different autographs and the item i want to buy for opinion on whether legit or not?
    Wouldnt mind post a couple of andrea riseborough either since im huge fan of her also

Honestly, I wouldn't know if they would be legit or not since I don't own either one. Plus, there isn't very many modern celebrity autograph collectors on this forum. I focus on Old Hollywood while others here collect government related.

The websites we both talked about are reputable.

• Options

thanks. her autograph on all the photos on the sites linked on here are very similar to one i already bought and also the one i want to buy so ill assume the one i want to buy is legit

• Options

I have a beautiful Brooke Shields autographed photo in person signature if you are interested