Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the most difficult series/set to complete a full set due to rarity and availability?

2»

Comments

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I doubt if anyone will ever have a complete set of US coins. Eliasberg came close but he lacked the 1870-S half dime which wasn't discovered until after his death. I understand that one of his 3 cent coins turned out to be a pattern and not a regular issue coin. Does anyone here know the story about this coin?

doh! the struggle is real

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@asheland said:
    I’d love a set of gold dollars, not impossible, but a few a really tough for my limited means. :s

That’s why type collecting is so appealing to me. Although I am doing the type set, certain coins like Indian Head Cents and Gold Dollars I have multiples of because I like the series so much.

I guess if finances improve and rarities become available, IHC and Gold Dollars are two sets I would attempt.

If I can put together a set of IHC I'm sure you can
    Just have fun doing it

I really enjoyed looking at your Indian Cent collection. Congratulations and well done!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@alaura22 said:

@asheland said:
    I’d love a set of gold dollars, not impossible, but a few a really tough for my limited means. :s

That’s why type collecting is so appealing to me. Although I am doing the type set, certain coins like Indian Head Cents and Gold Dollars I have multiples of because I like the series so much.

I guess if finances improve and rarities become available, IHC and Gold Dollars are two sets I would attempt.

If I can put together a set of IHC I'm sure you can
    Just have fun doing it

I really enjoyed looking at your Indian Cent collection. Congratulations and well done!

I looked too, very impressive!

This is a great thread indeed.

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die varieties make any set a challenge.
    The 20c date/mm set is easy if you have enough money, but I've been working on a dv set for years. Only 31 coins, but since the major 3rd party graders don't recognize die varieties, and when the auction house that do regularly mis-identify them, the only way to find them is in the wild.

I've been checking all the online auctions and all the shops and shows that I can get to for years. Excluding the unobtainable at my budget (1876-CC and 1875-S proof), still only 75% complete.

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an easy question to answer. As others have said some series have unique coins so by definition these are the hardest to complete.

But excluding unique coins, I am going to say proof bust half dimes, dimes, or quarters.

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think s complete set of 1792 patterns would be pretty tough as well. With the white metal Birch Cent being unique and the two Wright quarters being 2 known each (Judd-12 and Judd-13).

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 9:55PM

@daltex said:
    It's also fun to say Patterns, but there are so many ways you can draw the boundaries. . .

Just don't draw boundaries ;)

Did Simpson have a full set?

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2022 9:14PM

No Simpson had just about half of the 1792 patterns as I was informed. But i think a total around 1400-1500 different patterns overall.

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bitcoin?

I love them Barber Halves.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file