Home Sports Talk
Options

The birthday guessing game

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 11, 2022 11:52AM in Sports Talk

Let's play a little game, shall we? Can you guess which famous football player has a birthday today? Here's your clue - I once got hypothermia in the first half of the Cotton Bowl, and was pulled out of the game due to low body temperature with my team losing. I ate a warm bowl of chicken soup in the locker room at halftime and was able to get my body temperature back up, went back into the game, and led my team to a comeback victory to win the Cotton Bowl, who am I?

Comments

• Options

And no cheating!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2022 12:31PM

I know who it is....hint.....one of the best NFL QBs ever.....maybe the best.....my favorite!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    I know who it is....hint.....one of the best NFL QBs ever.....maybe the best.....my favorite!

Did you cheat? Admit it, you cheated!

• Options

I'm not going to give anyone else a chance!

• Options

Ok, you're right, but I'm very suspicious of foul play here!

• Options
    edited June 11, 2022 12:48PM

@doubledragon said:

@Hydrant said:

Kind of, sort of, but not really...... I always send Joe a card on his birthday. We go way back.....So.....I figured it was him.....I could have been wrong...... He was the Best!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:

@Hydrant said:

Kind of, sort of, but not really...... I always send Joe a card on his birthday. We go way back.....So.....I figured it was him.....I could have been wrong...... He was the Best!

Ah yes, birthday cards, I send them out to friends from time to time.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2022 1:14PM

When he was at the end of his career he was with the Chiefs. He took a hit and went down. His head hit the turf so hard that it LITERALLY hurt me to see it. I'll never forget it.....It was the worst I ever saw. He has severe nerve and other related health problems now because of that and other injuries. He should have hung it up sooner but he was a player.

• Options

Whenever I think of Montana, I think about Sandy Koufax. Two players at the top of their game. Both of those guys were either the best ever or very close to it. Koufax had terrible pain during his last season, 1966. He hung it up. Went out on top. Montana played in severe pain for the last few years of his career. There was no reason for it. He had nothing to prove. Oh, well....he's paying the price now. My heart goes out to him. Not good.

My Two All Time Favorites..... God, Were They Ever Good!

• Options

Yes, they were both phenomenal, here's a little video about the hypothermia game if anyone wants to see it, definately worth the watch!

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Montana did anything but dominate this game. He completed just seven of his first 27 pass attempts, threw four interceptions and lost two fumbles. It wasn’t until halftime that everyone figured out what was going on. In the locker room, Montana was wrapped up and fed chicken bouillon to bring up his body temperature.

Head coach Dan Devine brought out Tim Koegel to begin the second half at quarterback with Montana still in the locker room. It wasn’t until later into the third quarter that he finally emerged with Notre Dame trailing 34-12.

With 7 minutes, 25 seconds left in the fourth quarter. the Fighting Irish finally put more points on the board, and it was seen as just making the score more respectable at that point. Then, Steve Cichy returned a blocked punt for a touchdown and Montana threw for a two-point conversion to Vagas Ferguson.

With 4:15 left, Montana finished an 82-second scoring drive that went 61 yards with a two-yard touchdown run. But with less than two minutes remaining in the game, and the Irish threatening at the Houston 20-yard line, Montana fumbled the ball for the second time in the game.

However, the game wasn’t over.

The Notre Dame defense forced another punt from the Cougars and began their final drive at the Houston-44 with just 35 seconds left. It took Montana and the Irish just four plays to score a touchdown and tie the game, with Montana finding Kris Haines in the end zone in the final seconds. But making the extra point was no guarantee in the cold weather and strong winds.

Kicker Joe Unis, who hadn’t kicked the ball since the first quarter and froze on the sideline, came into the game and had a chance to win the game. He knocked the ball through the up-rights, but a penalty forced him to do it again from farther away.

He nailed it a second time, giving his team the 35-34 comeback win and cementing Joe Montana as a college football legend and jumpstarted his historic NFL career with the San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2022 4:24PM

Today is the birthday of a baseball pitcher,.....hint.....mostly known for relief work.....another hint....I called him this morning and wished him happy birthday...... "OLD MAN!"...... he got the joke........no cheating!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Today is the birthday of a baseball pitcher,.....hint.....mostly known for relief work.....another hint....I called him this morning and wished him happy birthday...... "OLD MAN!"...... he got the joke........no cheating!

🤷 Were you calling yourself?

• Options
    edited June 15, 2022 5:22PM

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

No,....But you're getting hot!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

No,....But you're getting hot!

Your son?

• Options

BINGO!

• Options

So give us some career details...you don't need to give his name obviously, but go ahead and brag a little.