Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

S. Korea 1970 100-Won (MS-63)

Comments

• Options
    GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

I don't much about Korean coins. Except I was both in Seoul and may have used a coin like that. Is that just an uncirculated 100 won coin? I have an understanding of US terms and coins. Did the Korean government issue proofs or what back then?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like this coin is a business strike only. 1.5 million made and it's Cu-Ni. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    mlov43mlov43 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

@GulfRasta said:
    I don't much about Korean coins. Except I was both in Seoul and may have used a coin like that. Is that just an uncirculated 100 won coin? I have an understanding of US terms and coins. Did the Korean government issue proofs or what back then?

Yes, they authorized proofs in the early 1970s, but not this coin. This is indeed just an uncirculated 100-Won coin. I sold one in MS-64 for over $1K a few weeks ago.

The proofs were a series of gold and silver commemorative coins that South Korea issued under the auspices of Italcambio in the early 1970s.