Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ottoman guys? Help with ID? Updated for those interested.

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 11, 2022 11:16AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Do I have this right? 1223/9 Constantinople, So AH 1231 = 1816 = Mahmud II ?

At 4.7 grams, it's a 2 rumi? NGC shows an almost exact match with KM#617, but so many others I see online have the floral devices around the perimeter rather than the script calligraphy. And Heritage indicates "holed as usual". Were they holed to wear in jewelry? They seem pretty large for that. Any help appreciated. I'm on the fence but I think it's pretty cool.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    edited June 12, 2022 9:07AM

Updated, after poking around a little:

KM#614 is the 2 rumi altin of Mahmud II with the floral devices around the perimeter. My piece is the KM#617 2 rumi altin of Mahmud II with the script. Apparently same denomination, weight, and of the same era. Just a different style. Hope someone will correct me or expound if there's more to add.

NGC and the other online references I found indicate the purity simply as "gold". She tests squarely at 90% pure on the Sigma. Still unsure why so many are holed, and why many references refer to that as typical. Other than they are a big, relatively thin coin so you get a little more bang for your buck in terms of visibility. She's actually 4.9 grams and approximately 29.3 mm.

Anyway, couldn't pass her up at melt. Here she is with a 1913 20 qirsh--roughly 100 years her junior:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

And since nobody else seems to care ;) , the (possible) answer to why ottoman coins are often found holed and why it seems to matter little to their collectors:

"It was a long standing tradition for the bride to wear jewelry and other ornamentation made up of actual circulating coinage. This is where many Ottoman coins gained their holes, from being pierced by jewelers and relatives of brides, using the money given by family and friends to the couple to make the ornaments that the bride would wear on her wedding day."

https://ottomanandturkishcoins.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/coins-and-culture-why-do-so-many-ottoman-coins-have-holes-in-them/

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

Awesome, @Sapyx . I appreciate your comments!

--Severian the Lame