Home Q & A Forum
Options

Restoration Service Recommended PCGS Sticker

I recently submitted a PCGS graded MS64 $20 Saint to PCGS for Reconsideration. The coin is AWESOME with excellent eye appeal. PCGS did not upgrade the coin (that can be understood). But the coin came back with a sticker from PCGS on the old holder saying that the PCGS graders recommend RESTORATION for that coin. The coin has awesome eye appeal, no spots, no toning. Any comments ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abdelmeg1 We need to see sharp close pics of both sides of a coin if you want comments. Hopefully the holder is clear of scratches. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    abdelmeg1abdelmeg1 Posts: 84 ✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    @abdelmeg1 We need to see sharp close pics of both sides of a coin if you want comments. Hopefully the holder is clear of scratches. Good luck. Peace Roy

No, the holder has many fine longitudinal scratches and I would say, the plastic of the holder has hazy spots (separate from the coin).

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abdelmeg1 Well then, we've had many discussions about how to polish haze and scratches out of slabs. The search engine shall get you there. PlastX by Meguiars does a decent job for me. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2022 7:26PM

I’ve had the same thing happen when I submitted a 1919 SLQ MS64FH with a CAC for Reconsideration. Not upgraded, returned with that large sticker on the holder recommending Restoration.

Call me naive, but I believe this was unbiased advice, and not a push designed just to generate a few dollars of extra revenue for PCGS, or to keep the Restoration personnel busy so they wouldn’t have to twiddle their thumbs. As such, I submitted the coin for Restoration, and it came back looking slightly better, with the same grade.

I kept the paper trail, sent it to CAC to reapply their sticker, which they did, even though the cert number was different.

The before and after photos are not helpful for this discussion, as the only photo I have from afterwards is a TrueView, but is unrepresentatively dark, and is probably the same photo from the original coin. Regardless, the coin was lustrous white, perhaps slightly more so afterwards. I sold the coin, as I upgraded the coin in my SLQ Full Head DATE set. Did I benefit from the extra expenses I incurred in accepting their recommendation, with the various steps needed? I don’t think so. If this same scenario occurs again, would I ignore the recommendation, or accept it? I believe I would accept the recommendation again, and submit it for Restoration.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996