Home Sports Talk

NFL Rivalries

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Name two teams that have an exceptional dislike of each other and why.

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cowboys and Eagles. True hatred there. Example: Michael Irvin laying motionless on the turf in Philly in what would be his final play in the NFL as the classy Philly fans cheered. As a Cowboys fan I could go on and on with examples but I think you get the point. If the Cowboys go 2-15 next year it will be ok if the 2 are against Philly. It runs deep on both sides.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2022 3:00PM

bears and packers. Growing up in NW Illinois there was about 45% split between Bears and Packer fans. There was also a small contingent of Viking fans from the Bud Grant era.

Had some friends who had tickets to the 2 packer games they would play in Milwaukee.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cowboys and Redskins.
    When the NFL was re ordering the divisions some years ago because of fuel prices and travel, etc, Dallas was destined for the mid west.
    Jerry Jones refused because of the rivalry between Dallas, Philly, Wash and the Giants. He felt that tradition would be lost.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Buffalo has always had a great Rivalry with New England, 1960 and Miami 1966.

This thread cannot ignore the tradition in the AFC West.
    Pick a team. Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Chiefs

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Cowboys and Redskins.
    When the NFL was re ordering the divisions some years ago because of fuel prices and travel, etc, Dallas was destined for the mid west.
    Jerry Jones refused because of the rivalry between Dallas, Philly, Wash and the Giants. He felt that tradition would be lost.

Yea, I thought of Cowboy/Redskins.....but I didn't know if it was a true rivalry or just media hype.......Every Thanksgiving, Cowboys/Redskins......THE BIG GAME!......Long Ago.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pats and Miami

So far everything is intra-division...that makes sense.

• omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Steelers and Raiders. Maybe not as prevalent now, but between meeting up nearly every year in playoffs during the 70's and the notorious immaculate reception game, there wasn't a ton of love between teams and fans alike. And one that we will get to see this year, although not quite the same meaning to it anymore, the 49ers and Raiders battle of the bay games were ALWAYS brutal. So much so that after a few years in a row of having ugly fights break out during and after the yearly pre-season games, the Niners asked for the NFL to stop matching them up in preseason and NFL agreed.

And pretty much any division rivals but gotta agree with Alfonz24 with Bears and Packers probably being the biggest just because they were both there from the start of the NFL and both have had killer teams throughout those 100+ years as division rivals and are pretty close to each other location wise.

Also, who are these Redskins you all speak of? ;)

edited June 6, 2022 8:18PM

I agree Landry,.....before the Cowboys/Eagles, it was

@omgjedi said:
    Steelers and Raiders. Maybe not as prevalent now, but between meeting up nearly every year in playoffs during the 70's and the notorious immaculate reception game, there wasn't a ton of love between teams and fans alike.

I agree. That's the one.....THE BIG ONE!.......Two rough and tumble teams.......Who's the biggest BADA*S!....Those guys went for it! I loved those Raiders back then....win or lose....it was always fun!

P.S......The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ was a Steeler fanatic back then. Me? A Raider guy!......Hey, opposites attract!!!!.... YIPPEE!!

@omgjedi said:
    Also, who are these Redskins you all speak of?

Right...... 😂

@Hydrant said:

P.S......The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ was a Steeler fanatic back then. Me? A Raider guy!......Hey, opposites attract!!!!.... YIPPEE!!

Sounds like my cousins wedding. Half Dodgers fans and half Giants fans :#. Was still a great time though.

@omgjedi said:

A team in Washington. Commodes just doesn’t sit well with me. 😂😂😂
    And no I didn’t spell it wrong.

W.C.Fields
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@omgjedi said:

A team in Washington. Commodes just doesn’t sit well with me. 😂😂😂
    And no I didn’t spell it wrong.

They are a brick house

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    So far everything is intra-division...that makes sense.

During my recent lifetime, the Patriots had great rivalries going with Pittsburgh and Baltimore. But with the falloff in Pittsburgh and the Pats, these are not the same.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the Pittsburgh one predated Brady.