Home Sports Talk

Jim Kaat nickname for Nestor Cortes

omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
edited June 6, 2022 12:20AM in Sports Talk

Few days old now but didn't see this brought up here. Pretty much Jim Kaat gave Nestor Cortes the nickname of Nestor the Molester during a broadcast and viewers were not happy. Now a little history for those who are unfamiliar but Kaat made a comment during the 2021 AL Division Series when discussing Yoan Moncada's talent with commentator Buck Showalter, said he would like to have a 40 acre field full of him. He soon after on the same broadcast apologized for the remark, as it reminded many viewers of the 40 acres and a mule promised at the abolishment of slavery. So back to the recent comment, again after deeming Cortes "Nestor the molester", viewers were outraged and he again apologized for the comment to fans and directly to Cortes. Which Cortes really didn't seemed bothered by it and shrugged off the whole thing.

I bring this up since some friends brought it up today and we got into a little discussion about both incidents. Now for the 40 acres one I can see a bit of outrage with the association to slavery reparations that were never quite fulfilled, and he could have chosen literally any other number than 40 and it probably would have never even made news. It has sort of blown over with little repercussion as well as he is still on air and also was elected to the HoF a few short months later. Now as for the recent nicknaming of Nestor Cortes, I can understand in todays social climate the association of the word molester bringing up bad images for many, but I know Raiders legendary CB Lester Hayes took pride in his nickname of "Lester the molester" and also as mentioned above, Cortes (whether just to get it over with or genuine) really just didn't seem to care going as far as to publicly say there wasn't even a need for an apology.

Kaat again doesn't seem like he will lose his announcing job and also seems genuinely apologetic for the remarks, but I guess my main idea here is was this really even an issue with Kaat in the first place or with the people who found it offensive? If you look up Molester in oxford dictionary it gives 2 definitions:
noun
a person who sexually assaults or abuses someone, especially a woman or child.
"convicted rapists and molesters"
DATED
a person who pesters or harasses someone in an aggressive or persistent manner.
"enthusiastic molesters of private property"

I find it interesting they have the original use as "dated". I again will say I can understand people associating the word with the first definition, but to get angry over the general use of the word, which could easily describe Cortes' aggressive style of play as it once did for Hayes' style of play, just seems almost as wrong in my opinion. Lack of knowledge and not bothering to take a little time to educate yourself before getting angry causes many problems, as in this situation I feel. I am always open to others opinions though, if this offended you or offends you now, please feel free to discuss your opinions.

Article on the recent nickname incident here: https://sports.yahoo.com/twins-broadcaster-jim-kaat-uses-offensive-nickname-for-nestor-cortes-during-yankees-game-042746330.html

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is altogether possible that Kaat is getting too old for the job. he is in his early 80s now and is most likely not as sharp as he once was. I think it would be wise if he "retired" at the end of the season before more Oopsies happen on live television.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Yeh, definitely in general I feel these older commentators are being phased out. Times just changing too fast for guys that were rocking out to Al Jolson.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nestor Cortes (@Cortes_1210) June 3, 2022

"Hey everybody — Jim Kaat has spent an entire lifetime in this game we love," Cortes wrote. "He reached out to me and apologized for his remark last night, but he didn't need to.

"We all make mistakes and feel 100% that there was no malice intended. I plan on lifting him up with this tweet and I hope others do too. No sweat here Jim!"

Classy response by Cortes.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@omgjedi said:
    Yeh, definitely in general I feel these older commentators are being phased out. Times just changing too fast for guys that were rocking out to Al Jolson.

I'm really not trying to start anything volatile or be pedantic by saying this. I just want to point something. Your comment here, by specifically referencing Jolson, can be inferred as you implying that Kaat made racist comments. And I feel as though you are more defending Kaat here than criticizing him. Please correct me if I am wrong. Intent is sometimes not easy online, as we all know

• omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Appreciate the way you asked that. No, I am not saying Kaat's comments were racist, more simply a general statement towards the comment about commentators from a generation that was raised on music like Jolson's. While most of the older Broadcasters don't ever have any questionable references, sometimes with todays awareness lines get blurred and can get misinterpreted at the very least. Such as Kaat's or even my Jolson reference above. There is a disconnect with the younger fans today, and while commentator's such as Kaat are still respected and idolized by the more experienced fans that grew up watching these older guys, the younger fans who never got to appreciate their greatness see them as relics of a different time. Not too different with even the guys that I grew up watching, like for instance Shaq and Barkley for TNT, who have been known from time to time to make questionable comments and are not too far removed from their playing days still. But the younger fans who enjoy the sport just know them as talking heads and don't tend to respect what they accomplished just 15-20 years ago. In the cancel culture age we live in, it's usually just risky keeping keeping the guys around who potentially could put their foot in their mouth and say something that could end up costing them viewership. And again not saying all old commentators are disconnected or racist by any means, but as social awareness grows more and more (which again don't get me wrong as this is much needed still) it just makes some of the older references a bit dated. As is the case with the Molester comment from Kaat, who only was trying to praise Cortes' aggressive play.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes sense. Jolson is famous for " blackface" more than anything nowadays.