Home Sports Talk

Big Daddy Cool retires

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ryan Fitzpatrick, the COAT (Coolest Of All Time) has announced his retirement from the NFL after 17 seasons. He went by many nicknames, Fitzmagic, The Beard, Fitzy, and of course the nickname I personally gave him, Big Daddy Cool. He played for an astonishing nine different teams over the course of his career, and there will never be another like him.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, Hydrant will be emotional over this announcement, Fitzy played for the Rams when he was a beardless young rookie, undoubtedly put the Rams on the map.

Take a look at this, all of the players and ex-players that Fitz sent a text message to when he announced his retirement.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fitzmagic AKA “Mr September”

@perkdog said:
    Fitzmagic AKA “Mr September”

Yes, a very emotional day for us all, everyone try to contain yourselves, it is rumoured that Fitzy will be joining the Thursday Night Football broadcast, so we'll still get to see him!

Ex-Bills running back Fred Jackson, seen in this photo, is the one who broke the news about Fitz's retirement, they were teammates in Buffalo. I know this has to be an emotional day for 2dueces, Fitzy played for the Bills for years, he undoubtedly put the Bills on the map.

If you're thinking about starting any threads on the forum today, be warned, this thread will do whatever it takes to stay at the top of the page, it will dominate the forum today, DOMINATE!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm not gonna lie, had i not known who this was prior to, i wouldn't have had the slightest

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:

i'm not gonna lie, had i not known who this was prior to, i wouldn't have had the slightest

Yes, he is hardly recognizable, a far cry from the Fitzpatrick of today.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, doesn't Fitzpatrick own the NFL record for most TD passes by an Ivy League QB?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    If I remember correctly, doesn't Fitzpatrick own the NFL record for most TD passes by an Ivy League QB?

Yes, he passed Sid Luckman years ago.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joining his counterpart none the less

edited June 3, 2022 8:54AM

Yes, I love that image of Civil War Fitz, of course that was a long time ago. This photo was taken just after General Andrew Luck surrendered.

The man certainly knew how to grow a beard, all the quarterbacks envied his perfection for facial hair. I still remember when Big Ben Roethlisberger tried to copy Fitz's beard, a cheap and pathetic imitation.

One if my all time favorite sports moments, when Ryan Fitzpatrick walked up in that press conference looking like Conor McGregor.

edited June 3, 2022 10:14AM

@doubledragon said:
    One if my all time favorite sports moments, when Ryan Fitzpatrick walked up in that press conference looking like Conor McGregor.

Bonus points if you remember (or find out) which player he borrowed the clothes and (I think) jewelry from and post a picture of said player walking into the stadium earlier that day wearing those clothes.

Edited to add: I know the picture exists

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Bonus points if you remember (or find out) which player he borrowed the clothes and (I think) jewelry from and post a picture of said player walking into the stadium earlier that day wearing those clothes.

Edited to add: I know the picture exists

I know my Fitz facts like you know Larry Bird, this one is simple, DeSean Jackson.

Of course, Fitz wore it much better than Jackson, just look at the man, the definition of cool.

Another favorite Fitz moment, when he showed up at Dolphins practice in daisy dukes.

edited June 3, 2022 11:22AM

Of course, times weren't always so great, Fitz did struggle, and Joe Namath had to get involved.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    and of course the nickname I personally gave him, Big Daddy Cool.

So you gave him Kevin Nash's nickname?

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:
    and of course the nickname I personally gave him, Big Daddy Cool.

So you gave him Kevin Nash's nickname?

Kevin Nash should have patented that nickname, it's too late, it belongs to Fitz now. We'll fight Nash in court if we have to!

Hawaiian shirt with just the right amount of chest hair showing, god I'm going to miss him.

Of course, Fitz was very inconsistent throughout his career, it was feast or famine with him.

My favorite look was when he was with the Jets.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Alfonz24 said:

Ah yes, a rare photo of Fitz's back, well done sir!

Fitz has inspired Halloween costumes as well.

Check out this photo of Ryan Fitzpatrick's son, he dressed as his dad for Halloween.

Fitz had his moments of magic though.

Check him out with the Bills mafia, in the stands, shirtless!

Big Daddy Cool.

The little fans loved the beard.

Fitzmagic in Miami.

Enjoy your retirement Fitz, and thanks for the ride.

We'll leave you with one final Fitzpatrick quote, after he was benched for Tua.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

2nd highest Wonderlic score in the history of the NFL.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

is that a real quote?

@thisistheshow said:
    is that a real quote?

Let me just say this, it's real until proven otherwise. You seem like a man who enjoys a good Fitzy quote, I'll let you have one more taste, just enough to satisfy your new Fitzpatrick quote addiction, and then I have to be getting off to bed.

Ryan Fitzpatrick to star in Rudolph the red nosed reindeer remake.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2022 3:20PM

@2dueces said:
    2nd highest Wonderlic score in the history of the NFL.

Sorry, he scored 3rd highest.
    I always thought it was a test for QB’s (mostly) to see how fast they could think on the fly. There are reasons they give for ending it, not the one I thought. Hmmm

Why doesn’t the NFL do the Wonderlic test anymore?

The NFL announced it would eliminate the NFL Wonderlic test for prospects to help teams better evaluate those players. They’re also revising some drills to simulate game action better. The test has always been a source of conversation, and there are many reasons it needed to go.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

The NFL announced it would eliminate the NFL Wonderlic test for prospects to help teams better evaluate those players. They’re also revising some drills to simulate game action better. The test has always been a source of conversation, and there are many reasons it needed to go.

They got rid of it, in part, because player scores kept getting leaked and the NFLPA was mad about that. But mostly it's because the test didn't really have much value for evaluating players.

@Tabe said:

@2dueces said:

They got rid of it, in part, because player scores kept getting leaked and the NFLPA was mad about that. But mostly it's because the test didn't really have much value for evaluating players.

The scores are always leaked. And anyone with a bias can point to the scores and try to use it. Also, some q of the best players, regardless of race or educational history, scored very poorly. It's meant to be an intelligence test, but it doesnt consider a lot. The scouts and coaches have learned that there are more valuable ways to test the learning ability of players.
    They can interview those who coached them. They can put them in front of a whiteboard and have at it for an hour, discussing and dissecting the one thing that matters.....football.