Home Sports Talk

Marion Barber dead at 38

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those that don't know, he was an NFL running back. Bulk of career in Dallas. I LOVED how he played. Always went out of his way to take on contact at the end of a run. Had trouble since retiring. I think I've mentioned him here a few times.

Marion the Barbarian. RIP

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I'm not a Dallas fan but it is still sad news. Too young.

Pocket Change Inspector

edited June 3, 2022 5:52AM

@Stingray63 said:
    I'm not a Dallas fan but it is still sad news. Too young.

I'm a Patriots fan. And NFL. Moved to the Dallas area in 2006 so I saw most of his career here. Very impressive running back. Left it all out there on the field. Almost always chose to punish defenders at the end of his runs, to wear them down and perhaps get more yards, instead of going out of bounds.

Edited to add: galaxy corrected me, I got the following backwards. He went out of bounds when he shouldn't have. Leaving my mistake for posterity.

@galaxy27 you might remember, when he went to the Bears at the end of his career, I think he famously made a mistake by not getting out of bounds to stop the clock. I don't remember exactly, someone correct me. But I remember thinking of course, because getting out of bounds is not in his DNA

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough, hard nosed running back, I loved his style. Sad news, RIP.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow not sure if this is what you're referring to, but there was a game about a decade ago when he went out of bounds at a very inopportune time. and that lapse of judgment played an integral role in the outcome of the game. the reason i remember it so vividly is because it was at the height of Tebowmania. yes, even Timmy T led a comeback and helped the Bears snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

sad news, 38 is obviously far too young

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:
    @thisistheshow not sure if this is what you're referring to, but there was a game about a decade ago when he went out of bounds at a very inopportune time. and that lapse of judgment played an integral role in the outcome of the game. the reason i remember it so vividly is because it was at the height of Tebowmania. yes, even Timmy T led a comeback and helped the Bears snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

sad news, 38 is obviously far too young

Wow! I misremembered. I actually probably thought. now he goes out of bounds ....lol I got it backwards. Can't trust my memory.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard the police found him alone in his apartment. they have not released a cause of death yet. his running style makes me wonder if this could have been a result of CTE? purely speculation at this point.

at any rate, it is a shame.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44 said:
    I heard the police found him alone in his apartment. they have not released a cause of death yet. his running style makes me wonder if this could have been a result of CTE? purely speculation at this point.

I heard this morning that his body had been there for possibly a few days and that running shower water is what prompted a welfare check. Per his wishes his brain will not be studied, but they said the decomposition might have ruled that out anyway. His birthday was coming on June 10th, and his brother was scheduled to get married on that day. Barber had been in the news several times with mental health issues. RIP

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

I heard this morning that his body had been there for possibly a few days and that running shower water is what prompted a welfare check. Per his wishes his brain will not be studied, but they said the decomposition might have ruled that out anyway. His birthday was coming on June 10th, and his brother was scheduled to get married on that day. Barber had been in the news several times with mental health issues. RIP

oh boy... I hadnt heard that report. so sad. 38 is awfully young to die a natural death.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

oh boy... I hadnt heard that report. so sad. 38 is awfully young to die a natural death.

AFAIK, cause if death has not been released.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘He’s down and out bad.’ Dez Bryant voiced concern for Marion Barber a year ago

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article262049092.html

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Really sad and RIP MB. Makes you appreciate every day you have.