Home Q & A Forum
Options

Silver Eagle Error?

In the new issue of Numismatic News, the front-page article is about a 2022 silver eagle error with an "unusual ring" pattern. ICG calls it an incomplete strike ring and then describes it as a strike-through error in the article: https://numismaticnews.net/us-coins/striking-error-discovered-on-2022-silver-eagles

However, I have seen this same type of "error" on other silver eagle dates (not very often) and it is always on the obverse of the coin and looks more like some sort of mechanical error vs. a strike through error as there is no foreign substance left on the coin. In fact, I recently opened a sealed monster box of 2014 silver eagles and the top coin on a few of the rolls showed this phenomenon as seen in the photos below. Same coin, with slightly different lighting.

Does anyone have any idea of the actual cause of this error? I have heard lots of theories but nothing definitive.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

My eBay Auctions

Silver Eagle Coin Company Website
Silver Chinese Pandas, Canadian Maple Leafs, Australian Kookaburras, Mexican Libertads, and Austrian Philharmonics NOW AVAILABLE at Excellent Prices!

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the rev doesn't show any distortion or similar curved effect? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a scratch/ding to me, possibly from the reeding from another coin.