Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

WTB: gold sovereign types

Looking for the following:
2005 gold sovereign modern St George and the dragon reverse bullion edition
2002 gold sovereign shield reverse
1989 gold sovereign Tudor rose reverse
1937 gold sovereign
1855-1870 gold sovereign “Australia” reverse

Let me know what you have, maybe we can make a deal.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    also a 2016 proof modified effigy

    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2022 3:43AM

    @3stars said:
    also a 2016 proof modified effigy

    Looks like you are after a nice collection. Do you already have the 2012 and 2022 sovereigns? Thought maybe you missed those.

  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Have those as well as type coin from young head Victoria up.

    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

    @3stars said:
    Have those as well as type coin from young head Victoria up.

    Are you going after the type I and type II Sydney Sovereigns or just one because of the reverse. These are interesting issues. There is a lot of interesting history surrounding these two types.

  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Exbrit said:

    @3stars said:
    Have those as well as type coin from young head Victoria up.

    Are you going after the type I and type II Sydney Sovereigns or just one because of the reverse. These are interesting issues. There is a lot of interesting history surrounding these two types.

    Just the one for right now. The thing I like about sovereigns is there is something like 250 different varieties available.

    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

    @3stars said:

    @Exbrit said:

    @3stars said:
    Have those as well as type coin from young head Victoria up.

    Are you going after the type I and type II Sydney Sovereigns or just one because of the reverse. These are interesting issues. There is a lot of interesting history surrounding these two types.

    Just the one for right now. The thing I like about sovereigns is there is something like 250 different varieties available.

    You probably already know this, but for the Sydney sovereigns - the type 1 (1855 & 1856) can run you some money. The type two (1857-1870) are fairly easy to acquire in a nice grade, 1868 is an interesting year, they started out minting the 1868s using mainly silver as the primary alloy (after gold) and then switched later in the year to copper to conform with the wishes of the British Royal Mint. They used copper as the alloy for the remainder of the Sydney issues.

    It is also interesting that the reverse of the type one and two sovereigns has Australia spelt out even though at the time, Australia was not unified and consisted of a number of colonies. Federation did not come until later.

    Many many varieties with more being found. Fascinating history starting in 1489.

Sign In or Register to comment.