Home Sports Talk
Options

Memorial Day

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have memories I wish I didn't have. Never forget those who gave it all for us.

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2022 5:08PM

Yep.........
    Uncle Bob was with the 4th Division USMC. Iwo Jima.

Uncles Lloyd and Floyd... Airborne Normandy

Uncle Earnie....U.S. Army....Philippines

My Dad...USN....Carrier Enterprise

And...Uncle Johnny. I never met him. Shot down over Germany.

They are all gone now......GOD BLESS AMERICA!

SEMPER FIDELIS

• Options
    edited May 29, 2022 6:03PM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I have memories I wish I didn't have. Never forget those who gave it all for us.

Once A Marine Always A Marine.
    Your Best Friend Or Your Worst Enemy.

Yes, MCMLVT. ......."memories I wish I didn't have.".... yea.
    SEMPER FIDELIS.........LEATHERNECK!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to say thank you to all who have served. To my dad in particular (RIP dad), who served in Korea from 11/1951 to 12/1953. US Army, company B, 1st battalion 31st infantry regiment. He passed in 1987 when I was just 19. He didn't talk much about his time abroad but the stories he did share described the sheer horrors of war. These folks are true heroes who walk among us. If you know one or just see one out somewhere please say thank you to them.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for starting this thread, and to all it is meant for. I know someone close to me I'd like to mention here. My Uncle. Vietnam Veteran. Good man. He's up in Massachusetts and we were texting a bit during the Celtics game tonight.

Thank you all of you!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2022 4:07AM

I also want to say thank you @MCMLVTopps and to everyone who served. We must never forget the sacrifices you made so that we can live in a world where good triumphs over evil. There is no greater bravery than that of the soldiers, who stepped into battle to defend the weak and innocent, thank god such men lived.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you and solemn prayer for all that never made it home

• Options
    edited May 30, 2022 1:50PM

Little Hydrants Celebrating Memorial Day

SEMPER FIDELIS
    NEVER FORGET

• Options

One More....

• Options

As my father says “Every Day is Memorial Day”

He served in the USMC infantry Vietnam 1969

He has survivors guilt

• Options
    edited May 30, 2022 2:56PM

@perkdog said:

He has survivors guilt

I had a good friend when I was a kid. His father served in the Korean War. The forgotten war.....The father had as you call it, "Survivors Guilt."...... Here's the story as the father told it........best as I can remember...... He was in a group in a ravine and then grenades started exploding around them....everyone was killed except him.....His guilt was because he thought that he took cover under the guys that got killed and that their bodies shielded him. When he told us boys the story, he got all choked up. I remember him saying, " Why me? Why was I the only one?"

• Options
    edited May 30, 2022 8:32PM

Maybe this post isn't altogether appropriate, but it is Memorial Day and it's about the veterans of WWII and their stories...... Marines who served in the Pacific Theater.....Anyone my age who had fathers, uncles, etc. know that those guys would never talk about the war. They just wouldn't do it. But, when I was a young boy, I lived a lot on Marine bases in SoCal. Twentynine Palms and Camp Pendleton. I was a mascot,..."The Littlest Marine." I was a favorite with the old timers. I had a uniform and I marched in drill on the parade grounds. Times were different then......Anyway, I idolized those guys and I was always around them.......even at Friday and Saturday night poker games......that's when they got sh*t faced drunk and talked about the war. Just among themselves.......The conversations were the most scary stuff I ever heard in my life......It terrified me. I learned, among other things, what FUBAR meant. ...... How many times did I hear about guys getting FUBARED?....Well, those guys were tough....but they cried like a baby too when they remembered. That's where I learned what a real man is. With those Marines. Not afraid to fight. Not afraid to die. And not afraid to cry. They're all gone now. God Bless Them All. They did their duty.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Please give your father this message....... I think and feel the same.

EVERYDAY IS MEMORIAL DAY.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this today at my local Lowes. Loved it. 🇺🇸

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@perkdog said:

He has survivors guilt

I was there from Nov 1969 to Nov 1970. I can't say I have survivor's guilt, but I do look upon those times as incredibly poor decisions by the powers to be in DC. What I'm saying is that when you restrict your military while they are in a combat environment by telling them not to do certain things, you are dooming them to the inevitable fate that awaits many of them. Robert McNamara and the boned headed Lyndon Johnson have their names all over this horrific loss of life. If you are ever in DC, find the Vietnam Memorial, its very close to the Lincoln Memorial, can't miss it. There are over 58,000 names etched into that granite. Think about that, FIFTY EIGHT THOUSAND. Guilt? I'm more pissed at those who sent us there, they who had zero skin in the game and who directed from afar, with brief visits and gone. I saw faces of 19 and 20 year kids going home, who looked like they had been through hell, I cannot imagine the horror they witnessed and have to live with all their lives, you cannot unsee something, nor push it out of your mind when times like Memorial Day come around.

It is indescribable to hear a pilot come over the intercom and say "ladies and gentleman, I'm very pleased to announce that we are now well beyond enemy gunfire". I can hear that voice like it was yesterday.

Paul...tell you dad I said "welcome home". That's all we got from this country, each other. Even on the rare times I wear my Vietnam baseball cap and see another person wearing one, I walk up to him and say "welcome home buddy"...the response is always "you too". That's our parade, that's our recognition, we have each other, and for me, that's good enough. We all know what we did.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps Thank You Al.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Growing up our family had serious problems. My Moms brother-in-law was extremely kind to us. Helped us many times, always there for us. When he died his obit said he was in the Battle of the Bulge, he was taken prisoner of war. I never knew. He never talked about it nor did my aunt or my cousins.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Growing up our family had serious problems. My Moms brother-in-law was extremely kind to us. Helped us many times, always there for us. When he died his obit said he was in the Battle of the Bulge, he was taken prisoner of war. I never knew. He never talked about it nor did my aunt or my cousins.

Thank you for sharing that.

• Options

@Brick said:

Classic example of what many Veterans did, stay quiet and choose to not relive or share the horrors of war. They relived those times in their mind, its not a thing you can just block out. Truly our country's Greatest Generation. Your mom's brother-in-law was a giant amongst men.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all you veterans and your families!

Hand to hand combat had / has to be the worst part of war. It seems like now it is drones, long range snipers and such and just not as personal.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.